Sunday, July 27, 2014

My Master Bedroom Tour + 5 Key Tips

The crickets have been chirping WAY too long over here at The Laundry Can Wait, and I miss you. 

What better way to return than with a decorating post - featuring one of my favorite rooms.

I decorated my bedroom to feel like a hotel, believe it or not. 

As a SAHM, I never get away. So, I wanted to create the essence that I was getting away after all - being pampered with room service, continental breakfasts and such. 

Because a girl can dream, right??

So, welcome to my bedroom. Here are my 5 tips for pulling the look together. 

1. Add the illusion of windows. 
 Who said you can't put curtains on a wall with no windows?? Go for it!


2. Less is more. 

I maximized the space I had by displaying LESS. Adding a BUNCH doesn't always deliver a PUNCH. I liked understating the dresser by simply propping up a piece that I loved. 



3. Add a statement piece that lends glamour and draws in your focus. 
I found this VINTAGE sunburst mirror at a garage sale, with no intention of displaying it above my headboard. But I sampled it there and loved it! 


4. Choose longer curtain panels. 
Hanging drapery at a high level creates the illusion of a taller ceiling. 


5. Old is NEW again. 
Guess what? 
This is the SAME bed Joey had BEFORE we got married 9.5 years ago,
the SAME comforter we picked out for our first married Christmas, and the SAME dresser and side tables we purchased from Mathis Brothers with our GARAGE SALE money 8 years ago, too. 

Distressing or dressing up what you already have is budget-friendly and really CAN work. 


Thanks for visiting! 

Now hurry along so I can mess it back up and fold the laundry.
Because THIS time, the laundry CAN'T wait. ;)


Linking up with: 
XOXO,

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hello sweet Meredith! Long time no talk. I hope you are enjoying your summer, dear one.

Your bedroom looks lovely - thanks for sharing with us.

Take care and have a blessed week. Hugs!

Christine Graves said...

Nice! love that you mimicked a window on the other side....no one will ever know that the builder didn't add it! I wish more builders worked with us women don't you? Love the bedding and the curtains too!

Linda P said...

Meredith, what a lovely transformation and on a budget. Love the curtains without windows. The mirror piece is great over your bed. All and all, everything looks fabulous. xo

laura Madalene said...

Your bedroom is gorgeous and the headboard is truly stunning. The cabinet that holds the linens is so pretty too.
your-bedrooms

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh it is so pretty and such a welcoming room. Luxury without being over done. Perfect.

Ashley Ditto said...

You are so talented! Love seeing what you do next!

Rea T said...

these are really great tips meredith, i like number the most..i might have to try that!

thanks for sharing your beautiful and gorgeous masters bedroom♥

i love it!
rea

The French Hutch said...

I think you did a beautiful of giving your bedroom a luxurious look. I love the curtains and your bed linens. Thanks for sharing you bedroom and tips for getting it.

Emily
The French Hutch

Nicole Mendez said...

These are good tips and your master bedroom looks great!

Laurie Ritchey said...

Oh how pretty it is. I can't believe you got that wonderful mirror at a yard sale, and you're right, it is perfect over the bed. Great idea to hang curtains where there are no windows. laurie

Ugochi said...

It does look super amazing!

Michell Pulliam said...

Hey Meredith!! So good to be back! Absolutely LOVE your bedroom!! HA! I thought I was the only one who put curtains on invisible windows, lol! We frugal designers think alike don't we! Have a good one! xoxo

Dante Storey said...

Wow! Your bedroom looks so luxurious and lovely. You did a great job in designing it. I can just imagine how cozy it is to lay and relax there. Thanks for giving us a tour, Meredith! All the best to you and your family!

Dante Storey @ Healthy Bed Store