Monday, November 11, 2013

What My Papa Told Me About War

"Papa, I'm writing a [high school] paper about WW2. Can you tell me anything?" I asked. 

I don't know if I was brave, rude or foolish to ask. But, I was young and curious.

And to my surprise, my grandpa opened up.

I listened intently as Papa shared a few gripping details.

How, when he liberated the concentration camps, he gave his Snickers to a survivor, but the man threw it up because it was too much food for his stomach.

How the soldier in front of him got sniped as they walked along one day. If it had been him, I would not be here.

Papa's countenance became fiery as he pointed out where he had shrapnel in his body. 

Once I had all the information, I got up.

For me, the conversation was over. 

But for him, it was not...

I knew it continued silently in his mind - always. 

The anguish of war is not lost on me. I've always been mystified by it all. Wanting to look and know - yet wanting to not think about it at the same time...overwhelmed by the human suffering.

Most mother's will never know the brutality of how their children died. When they held their babies for the first time, they couldn't have known how it'd end for them. 

Most soldiers were/are just boys... 

...going from a football field to a foreign jungle or desert, carrying a gun, avoiding barbaric enemies. 

And more and more women are sacrificing everything right there with them.

In short, Memorial Days and Independence Days aren't just days to cookout, they are days of respect.

...As is Veteran's Day.

Thank you to all the men and women who have served America in any way.

Saluting all Veterans, 

14 comments:

Sherry at The Rusty Pearl said...

This is beautiful and a tribute to papa too. I know he is so proud of you girly .. Love your blog and your spirit. xoxoxo hugs

Design_Fluff said...

This is lovely and a little sad. I teared up reading it. How true that it's not just an excuse to grill out.

Ashley Ditto said...

This is an amazing tribute. Wow. Tears. The way you write moves me so much!

Nicole Mendez said...

What a great story, I loved reading this so much :)Sounds like your Papa was amazing!

Dixie n Dottie said...

Great post and tribute to those who have fought and are fighting for our freedom.

Heidi Fuqua said...

Wow, can you imagine what it would be like if a Snickers would be too much to fill your stomach. The post is great!

Michell Pulliam said...

Great tribute Meredith! Yes thanks to your grandpa and all others who served and sacrificed and who are serving and sacrificing for our country!!! Love ya!xoxo

Irfan said...

great post
http://fashionwithfitness.blogspot.com

Betty Taylor said...

Meredith, I nominated you for the Sunshine Award. Details are on my blog. Please don't feel obligated to participate.

Ugochi said...

Very touching post Meredith. God grant all those who have sacrificed and still sacrificing the strength to keep living.

Rea T said...

i have so much respect for all the people that served their counties at some point in their lives...especially it was during the war...
I could not agree with you more on celebrating Veteran's Day, Memorial Day & Independence Day are not JUST cook out day, it is the day that we commemorate to the people that had had suffered so much physically & emotionally to serve the country..
wonderful post meredith! huggies♥
rea

must love junk said...

What a thoughtful and touching post!
Susan

Louie Donovan said...

So touching and thoughtful, what a moving message about the gallantry shown by our veterans.

dry cleaning Aledo TX

~Kristi~ said...

This comment is a little late... but I wanted to say how great this post is. Beautiful words from a beautiful heart!