Sunday, August 4, 2013

Weight Loss

Welcome to my new series, How Meredith Makes It Happen.

For my first topic, I chose something that every woman is interested in: her weight. 

You know those people who...just...FORGET to eat dinner? Well, I'M NOT ONE OF THEM.
I think about my next meal the minute I'm finished eating the one in front of me.

 So...How do I personally make weight loss happen?


{Before I start, I'd like to thank Danielle from Sew Much Crafting for designing the button for my new series. I noticed she had made several buttons for her blog, and upon casually asking how to make one as well, she emailed me back with the one I'm using! If you need a button, contact her for more information/prices.}

*My Story*
In June, my allergies led to an infection in my tonsils. While at the doctor, I learned my blood pressure was a bit high. The nurse said it might be simply because I was sick, but I wondered, "What if it isn't?" My blood pressure had never been high during sickness and, as I drove home, I decided I needed to STOP EATING LIKE A TEENAGER live a healthier life. But what was I going to do about it?

After having Grayson in 2009, I did Weight Watchers online. It really did work! After having Sutton in 2011, I did WW again. It worked again. Eventually, I thought, I'm good. I don't need to keep doing WW. 

Then I turned 30, and my metabolism levitated out of my body, never to return? 

Can I get an AMEN somewhere out there??

So...After my visit to the doctor in June, I went straight home and signed BACK up for WW. But, THIS time I decided to go to the meetings.
#MeetingBound

*Down 8lbs My First Month*
Hi, I'm Meredith, and my stomach is a bottomless pit. I eat small meals every 2.5 hours and will never be one of those people who can eat a huge meal and stay full all day. Furthermore, I don't "juice", "detox" or "cleanse" anything except for my countertops. It's JUST not for me. Weight Watchers is the only thing I've found realistic enough to sustain and see guaranteed results. {No, they are not paying me to say this either.} 

I love going to the meetings and connecting with other people. Formalizing the "weigh in" process keeps me accountable. {Only my leader sees The Number. No worries.}

*Realistic Expectations*
No, I don't expect my body to look like it did before I had children. Last time I checked, I can't UN-WIDEN my hips. My goal is to feel like the best version of myself and to be healthy. I don't care to look super-model thin. Perhaps some of you are assuming that, because I'm NOT obese, I don't need to worry about losing weight. My answer? That doesn't mean I don't want to feel my best, or that I don't need to care about my health. High blood pressure, high cholesterol and other health problems are not reserved only for the obese.

*Staying Active*
Do I workout? Yes, a few times a week for no more than 20 minutes. I do some walking on the treadmill/free weights/Insanity cardio. But, every day I'm constantly staying active by picking up and re-re-re-picking up the house, grocery shopping, helping the kids, etc. I wish I could devote more time to working out, but since losing weight is mostly about what you feed your body, I'm not entirely hung up on how much I work out.  Joey's hours are long, and I do what I can.

*My Message About Weight*
Thin doesn't equal healthy, and skinny doesn't equal pretty.  There's a myriad of misconceptions about what "pretty" means in our world. You can read my thoughts on that HERE.

What else do I want to tell you?

Have compassion for people, no matter how much they weigh!!! 

Everyone needs a cheerleader, so please don't look down on people because of their size. From thyroid problems to emotional eating because of painful events - everyone has a story about their weight. 

Have compassion for others, and focus on yourself. 

Whether you need to lose 5lbs, 15lbs or 215lbs, you CAN do it. 

*Now You Know How I Make Weight Loss Happen.*
I personally love Weight Watchers because IT WORKS and NOTHING is off limits. It's also great for MAINTAINING your ideal weight, which is something I want to do.

The trick to weight loss/toning your body is remembering this: it's a marathon, not a sprint.
 I'm enjoying the journey rather than getting hung up on the destination.
Do I have bad days? YES. In fact, I once had a bad WEEK, and it wasn't pretty, y'all.
Do I have good days, too? You bet.
{At Chili's, I actually watched my family eat this...and didn't have one taste! Who am I?}  
Soon, I'll be sharing what I actually EAT, as well as my secrets of success. 
You don't want to miss that post!!

Now YOU tell me: How do YOU like to lose weight? Do you follow a plan?

Do you struggle in this area?

Want to start getting healthy today?

Remember..."A Goal Without A Plan Is Just A Wish."

Until next time,

24 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Hi Meredith! What a great post, sweetie! I am with you- I am always "hungry"-lol-or think I am. I give up flour and sugar and that curbs my appetite and the pounds melt away. There are lots of choices of things I can have but I find I eat less when I give up those two things because it reduces my cravings. Good luck to you- I think you look just beautiful. Eight pounds in a month is great! xo Diana

Lena said...

Good job on losing 8 lbs in one month!! Weight gain is a painful topic for me right now. But after going to the doctor, I found out it wasn't my diet that caused it but my low thyroid! I believe that no matter how much anybody tries to lose (or gain!), the first step should be a trip to a doctor! Every body is different, and our needs and conditions are too. Good luck on your journey :)

Joi @ Rx Fitness Lady said...

I haven't had any children and haven't been on a journey but I believe in and recommend WW. I've seen it work numerous times. Thx for sharing that here. People need to know that lifestyle changes and exercise are always best.

Design_Fluff said...

Congrats on the weightloss! Ya know I've never been the type of person to judge people based on their weight or whatever, so I'm a little bit harsh on people who are unkind to others and jump to conclusions about another person's lifestyle based upon appearance. There are so many illnesses out there that are contributing to people being overweight, that unless they have gone through it themselves they really should reserve judgment. For those ladies who are experiencing thyroid issues, and other health issues, I recommend seriously looking into a program called Nutritional Balancing, I promise it will be worth your time.

Wendy said...

Amen! :)

Your advice is sound and congrats on the loss and your will power - it's very motivating!!!

Michelle Nahom said...

Oh I love to eat! So far I haven't had to worry...knock on wood! I know a lot of people that love WW!

Amila Wickramarachchi said...

interesting post.so many facts to grab.And congrats on loosing a good weight within a month!

Regine Karpel said...

Thanks for this post!
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Rea T said...

we are trying to live healthy too meredith and in the process lose some of the fats that i accumulated over the years...before i had my 2 children, i could easily skip my rice(fyi:filipinos like me are just born to eat rice) and would not have any problem and loose a lot of my fats but after i had my children & older too, it seems like skipping rice is not enough...so i have been actively working out & choosing what i eat and watching my portions...
my motto is:"i did not gain this weight overnight so i will not expect it to lose it overnight" and that makes me keep going and going..
i like this series meredith! that 8 pounds for a month is awesome!

huggies♥

Stephanie said...

You are so precious, Meredith! Thanks for the sweet advice - you are beautiful!

Hugs to you :)

cquek said...

thanks a lot for sharing with us.

Olive said...

Well done and very well said Meredith. I did WW in 09 and lost 50lbs and have mostly maintained that loss. A lot of people think because I am a large woman I have high cholesterol but not so. I exercise and maintain two acres of grass with a push mower. Gardening keeps me healthy to a large extent. You are right appearances are tricky. I also like the Lose It app on my iPhone. It keeps me mindful of what I am eating and it is free.stay strong, Olive

ANDYSTYLE said...

pretty look :)

victory said...

Meredith, I love what you said about wanting to look your best. As women, it is so important that we take care of ourselves and not neglect ourselves as we take care of our families. Blessings to you on your decision to lose weight!

Have a great week!

Suzan Sweatman said...

What a great post Meredith - my daughter lost 35 pounds for her wedding with WW.
I starve myself for a week or 2 lol not the healthiest way I know - but that's how I do it - I'm kind of lucky that I only fluctuate up and down by 10 pounds or so.
Much love,
XXX

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

do what is best for you. You are right about the weight...even thin people have a story behind their weight, and it could be a painful one. The goal is to be healthy and feel good about it.

Michell Pulliam said...

Hey Meredith! So proud of you...you look great! So true...I know many "skinny" people who can't take a flight of stairs without getting out of breath. Regardless of how we look, we must feel good in our bodies. I like to do all over toning. I have to...being 4'11" and 45 years old, a little weight goes a looonng way on me, lol! Thank God for high metabolism...that's my saving grace, lol! I'll be cheering you on my friend! Thanks for linking up...have a wonderful week!

Emily said...

Hey Meredith! You are looking great! Do you like the WW meetings? I am an online gal myself, but I would consider the meetings. Do you find them helpful?

I hope you are having a fantastic day!!!

Ashley Ditto said...

You look amazing, you go girl! Love your blog, and reading it sure blesses me beyond measure! Thank you for all the encouragement over at my place, it is so appreciated.

Ashley

Betty Taylor said...

I loved this post! Weight watchers is a great program. You're right everyone needs to be healthy. Weight is an issue for most people. Of course, there are those skinny minnies that never have to think about what they put in their mouth. Not really that many of them!

Keep up the good work and enjoy life.

Ivy and Elephants said...

I'm with you, girl! I need to do better, so I'll anxiously be waiting for that post!
Hugs,
Patti

Patty Antle said...

I wish you the best of luck Meredith. You look beautiful in your pictures. I have struggled all my life with all you have written about here. Sugar is very addictive to me so I have to stay away from it. I also have to get exercise walking and riding my bike. It's also important for me to spend time on acknowledging my gratitudes each day for my spiritual and emotional health.

Denise Duffy said...

So THAT's what happened to my metabolism! HAHA! Good for you, getting this done now! Heather has been going to a nutritionist. It's been the best thing she's EVER done! She's lost around 22 to 25 pounds so far. You think it's hard now, at 58.....I've got a whole different set of issues and have thought about writing about them. We women need to stick together, and share this stuff! Great job girl! You are so beautiful, you're going to look over the top AMAZING!!

Lisa said...

Thanks for the informative post. It's nice to see things from another's perspective on weight loss. You look good!