Monday, May 27, 2013

"The Grass Is Always Greener..."

Do you want to know where the grass is always greener? 

Keep reading, and I'll tell you. 
There's a side of Joey's family that we only get to see at their annual family reunion in Sallisaw, OK. It's been 4 years since we could make it, so this year we made an effort to attend!

 It was 12 years ago that, as my best friend, Joey invited me to the 2001 reunion...and told me he had feelings for me. :) Now we bring our KIDS.
The park was beautiful...like something out of Anne of Green Gables.
Oklahoma showers have been quite prolific this year, kissing the earth and making it EXTREMELY green!! 

The rain water painted a perfect background for these two. 
Sutton loved the bubbles. 
And I loved the centerpieces at the picnic tables!
****If you're wondering where all the family pictures are, I don't post pictures of other people without their permission. That's my rule of thumb.****
During the 2.5 hour drive home, the kids passed out. There's something about watching my children sleep that fills my heart with complete joy.  
{Grayson's feet as he slept, dirtied from all the running amok.}
Since we rode with Joey's cousin, I sat in the back of his car with Grayson. I managed to keep myself busy with 6 months worth of People mags {from the library}. 
Speaking of the Most Wanted Man - It's NOT Mr. Gosling. It's Mr. Garrett.
Sutton wouldn't let go of Joey's hand as we rode home. Even after tossing a blanket over her head for 20 minutes!! HA!

She just wanted her daddy to hold her. {Tears!}
So friends, I'm grateful I had the pleasure of celebrating Memorial Day with Joey's family. And even though Joey worked on Monday, I enjoyed celebrating with my side of the family, too.
I'm also very thankful for our past and present troops and the sacrifices they AND their families have made for our country. All day, I was very mindful of their suffering.

And if you don't know the end of the quote...it goes like this:
"The grass is always greener...

...where you water it." 

Pour "water" into your pastures, my friends! I'll do the same.

Until next time, 

32 comments:

Lena said...

Sounds like you had great time! I wish my lawn would be that green :)

emma @ ourfreshfamily.com said...

You all look so happy . :)
Love seeing daddies and daughters hold hands, CBJ loves to hold Travis's fingers (she can't do the hand quite yet!).

Design_Fluff said...

This was so beautiful, Meredith. A delight to read.:)

Karen A said...


Looks like you all had a great weekend! So true about the greener grass. :)

Stephanie said...

Oh Meredith, this was so sweet and precious! And yes, there is just something about your child sleeping...my heart always melts when my son is resting. Thanks for sharing this delightful post :) Have a lovely week!

Hugs to you!

Abi K. said...

What a sweet post, the grass definitely looks greener in Sallisaw. I totally agree with you that the grass will be greener only f you water it. Any place can be a beautiful place if we try to make it beautiful. Thank you for stopping by yo say hi :)
Abi K

Linda Primmer said...

Such a lovely week-end Meredith. Love your family portrait. Your sleeping children are precious. Love the hand holding....How loving is that. beautiful post dear one. xo Linda

ms.composure said...

those centerpieces are SO SO SO CUTE!!!!

ChatterBlossom said...

Aww, that is beautiful! I've never heard the saying ended that way and it works perfectly with your family trip story. Your daughter's cute little toes would be hard not to squeeze! So cute!
-Jamie
ChatterBlossom

Angel Allen said...

Hello
I love your post. Also Anne of Green Gables is my favorite all time movie. I've seen it dozens of times and it sounds like you did indeed visit there. Your photos are wonderful. Thanks for visiting me also.
Best
Angel @ sewcraftyangel.blogspot.com

Sherry at The Rusty Pearl said...

I love this .. The photos are just priceless... HUGS and blessings to you my sweet friend

Suzan Sweatman said...

You write the most beautiful posts Meredith - ( and it does look like something out of Anne of Green Gables btw - of which I've been!!! )
XOX
Love Sutton's pedicure tee hee

dee -@ The Old Fat Hen said...

Hi Meridith,beautiful photos as usual your kids are growing so fast .even in the short time that we have been "friends" I have noticed how much they are getting-love dee x

Lala H said...

yeah the grass is really greenner! you have a beautiful family and i got the say you got a really cute outfit and loving the cowboy boots!

Delightful Ideas
ABCMouse Giveaway

Jonnique said...

Beautiful family! Love your Daughter toenails!!!

Heather Nelsen said...

Love this post! Sweet pictures and a good reminder message. :) Thanks, Meredith!

~Heather

Anne K. said...

Your daughter's toe nails...so CUTE!

Sarah said...

Love love love this post! Glad it was a good time and yes, that park looks gorgeous!

chateau chic said...

Delightful post, Meredith. Family times together are priceless!
Mary Alice

Patty said...

Beautiful post and family photos, Meredith. So glad you made happy memories Memorial Day weekend.

Julia Terpstra said...

What a great post to read. And you are right; "water" is always essential; I like the "living water" myself!
I have to say, I loved the pops of red I saw in the pictures; from clothing to toenails; I loved your hubbys red shorts!!!
Make it a wonderful Friday. xoxo jules

Nicole @ Mendez Manor said...

So pretty and what a great love story! Have a wonderful weekend!

must love junk said...

What a sweet post! And oh, those toes...!!! :)
Susan

Rea T said...

i love that pedicured nails of sutton meredith! i'm glad you had a wonderful memorial day!

huggies,
rea

Mary Reed said...

Meredith, I love seeing the pictures of your beautiful family. I'm glad you were able to create such a wonderful memory... I love the hand-holding and your daughter's very-pretty toe nails!
Blessings and love ~ Mary

Joi @ Rx Fitness Lady said...

Yeah, so I didn't know the end of the quote. I automatically thought "you think the grass is greener on the other side". Thx for clearing that up and it's a beautiful quote.

I love family reunions. I'm so glad that's how you spent the holiday. I have still been in prayer for your community as well.

Danielle said...

What fun pictures - and it looks like you had a wonderful time! Have a great weekend!

Danielle

Irfan Butt said...

Such a eye catching post..really refreshing..

http://fashionwithfitness.blogspot.com

Michell Pulliam said...

Hey there lady!! So glad you got a chance to spend some time with your family. The park is beautiful...and Sutton's toes are absolutely adorable! Have a wonderful week my friend!

Grateful Living said...

What beautiful place. Sounds like you had great time.

Design_Fluff said...

Mere,
It's almost been a month, and there have been no posts. I hope you will let us know if you are doing OK. :D

Anita Cedar Hill Ranch said...

Very sweet post, and daddy's hand holding, awwww.