Friday, April 19, 2013

Oklahoma City Remembers...

It seems impossible to think that, while Oklahomans were gearing up for our Memorial Marathon this week, the Boston Marathon experienced a similar act of terror. 

This week, America has encountered so much loss. Boston. West Texas. And Oklahoma City is remembering the 18th Anniversary of the Oklahoma City Murrah Building bombing.
Tomorrow is our marathon. 
At 9:01 AM, I was in the 7th grade at Central Middle School when I heard the bomb explode. My teacher thought a gunman was in the building, so she hurriedly locked the classroom door.
That seems so long ago, but it is still fresh on our minds here in Oklahoma. 
I still live in Oklahoma City, and I am proud of the community I call home. 
If you ever come to Oklahoma, you must visit the Oklahoma City National Memorial. It will silence you and take your breath away.
I also want to mention our community's deep grief from losing a local hero on Monday. 

Chad Peery was an Oklahoma City police officer who made headlines in 2011. He was off duty, but was brutally attacked when trying to break up a bar fight. He became partially paralyzed, and EVERYONE here followed the story over time. You can't mention Chad's name without every Oklahoman knowing it.

All three of the men involved in that fight are in prison. Most recently, in 2012, Josh Rinken accepted a plea deal and was sentenced to 10 years. Jimmy Smith is also serving a 10-year sentence and Cadmio Lopez is serving a 15-year sentence.
Chad, a husband and a father of four children, endured the fight of his life and was starting to make a little bit of progress. Two months ago, he stood and accepted the Devon Energy Community Hero Award during a Thunder game. There was a standing ovation for Peery, as he has all touched our hearts.
But last Sunday, the van he was riding in had a tire blowout, and he, along with 3 of his 4 children were ejected from the vehicle. On Sunday, it was announced that Chad did not make it.  While I believe Chad is no longer in pain, and he is walking alongside our Heavenly Father, I ask you to please pray for his family. I think his children are in fair condition at this point. I can't imagine what his wife is going through right now. 

My heart is burdened this week for so many people. And, now more than ever, I pray this aloud each day: 

Father, be a hedge of protection around my family. Thank you for directing our every step, causing us to avoid being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I declare your supernatural protection around my children, causing no harm to befall them. Thank you for your unparalleled safety around me and all whom I care about. Amen.


Thank you, dear friends, for taking the time to read this. 


26 comments:

Karen A said...


What a sad, sad week for our country. The week is also the anniv. of the Koresh thing in Waco. The Oklahoma memorial is beautiful.. I'd love to see it one day. I haven't heard of Chad Perry but what a sad story. :( My thoughts are with his family.

Karen Mary Butterfly said...

So very sad and tragic. I am thinking of Chad's family and holding them close to my heart. Thank you for the awareness. I take relief knowing that there is more good in the world than bad. Hugs.
Karen

NanaDiana said...

Oh, Meredith. That was so heart-wrenching then and is still heart-breaking today. I hope we never forget what one act of violence can do and how far-reaching it is- touching so many lives. Blessings- xo Diana

Lena said...

It's definitely a heart-breaking week. But they will never be forgotten!

Suzan Sweatman said...

I feel broken this week - absolutely broken.......they say that the " bad guys " don't win - but I'm not so sure about that anymore.....
They take so much " good " out of the world - every single time.
Thinking of Oklahoma - and Boston and Texas.......and still remembering Newtown as well.
Much love,

Design_Fluff said...

It is so very sad to see that someone would be willing to take innocent life for whatever their purposes are/were.

Sandy said...

When my daughter and her CG husband's first sector was OKC I went out to visit and we walked the Memorial.. I could not handle it and the tears would not stop. The 'chairs' were amazing to say the least. The kids are now back there in the same sector and I may be there in July to visit and want to walk through once again... I believe 95% of humans are good and we can't let the 5% scare us to death...
Good post
Sandy

Leslie Germain said...

Hi Meredith. thanks for sharing this post with us all. I thought about the Oklahoma City bombing during all the devastating events of this week. What a sad story about that dad and his four children. That family has been through a lot. I will keep all in my thoughts and prayers.
Leslie

Denise Marie said...

Great post, Meredith!

Grateful Living said...

Very touching post. Thank you

Irfan Butt said...

interesting post..thanks for sharing!
http://fashionwithfitness.blogspot.com

Ugochi said...

Too many tragedies in the world these days. We cannot stop praying for our families and others too.
We are not hopeless in Him...

Diane said...

So much tragedy this past week. I don't think the OKC bombing gets as much attention as it should in the media. I remember the shock we all felt to discover that Americans did the destruction. I grew up in the Midwest and I really connected with the tragedy. I hate all the evil that is in the world. So sad about Chad's family who have been through so much already. Thanks for sharing this.

Debbie Jones said...

Lovely post and such a tribute to the heros in your community. I remember the Oklahoma City bombing so well - such a horrible tragedy -never to be forgotten. So sad about that police officer you wrote about. God has taken him home now. This week was a rough one for our country. We will never forget our heroes and those we have lost. God bless the USA.

Annmarie Pipa said...

oh my gosh! I will pray for Chad and his family tonight. thank you for this example of caring for others.

~Kristi~ said...

I have been thinking a lot about OKC - I have a cousin that lives there & so I remember it often! It has been such a sad week with all of the tragedies - it breaks my heart. There have also been so many stories of bravery and help - it warms my heart. Thanks for the sweet post - I'm hoping and praying that the coming week is a better one!

Michell Pulliam said...

So sad...praying for Officer Peery's family! Wow Meredith I can't believe it's been eighteen years now...I was pregnant with our youngest son. I so remember that day. The thought of American citizens committing such a heinous act on it's own country was nothing short of treason. May we never forget those who lost their lives, and those who lived through it. Thanks for helping us remember Meredith...praying for your state my friend and our nation! Have a blessed week!

Linda Primmer said...

Awww Meredith, such a tragic loss of lives. Chad Perry's story is to be remembered and treasured. So many bad things happening around us.
You have shared a very touching post.
Blessings to all who have endured so much. Linda
P.S. I sent you an email. Ii designed my header...thank you so much.

chateau chic said...

Sobering post about the evil in our world. Thankfully we have a living God who is good, faithful, and in control of all things.
Mary Alice

Rea T said...

so sad and tragic stories happening...may Chad Perry rest in peace and may the Lord God Almighty look over his wife and children...it is very devastating for the family that is left behind...

i hope you don't mind meredith, i copied the prayer that you have at the bottom of this post...it is really heart-warming..

thank you for this post..huggies♥
rea

Danielle Wood said...

Oh my goodness - did you JUST change your design?? I refreshed my page and it was new! Love it, girl!

Hope you have a fabulous week!!!
Danielle

Design_Fluff said...

Meredith! Your blog looks sooo cute!! Congrats on your makeover!

Danielle said...

Love your bloggy makeover!

kelekia1 said...

That was a very sad time for all of us. I will never forget watching them dragging out the bodies. I am so glad that I have Jesus and I know that no matter what happens, He will be with me. Just like He was with all of those people in Oklahoma City. God bless you!!! :):)

city said...

thanks for share..

Anne K. said...

Very sad :( I have friends in Oklahoma that lost their house but they were safe and that's more important. Glad you and your family are safe.