Monday, February 25, 2013

Welcome To My Kitchen {Makeover}

One night, I stood in my kitchen waaaay too long, and suddenly...
...at 1:30 in the morning, I decided:
 I HAD to take down every.single.item and give my kitchen this makeover.
I didn't realize the [seemingly] never-ending journey I had embarked upon.
You see, if you like to decorate, you know all too well, one thing ALWAYS leads to another. 
For example, if you take down a curtain and use it for a tablecloth - 
you'll want a tablescape that keeps the mood going.
And on and on and on.
From the lighting...
....to what I used for a soap dish {which is a cherub that I found at a G sale for .75 cents}....
...to the stacked valences on the garage door.
I switched out nearly everything. 

I wanted a fresh start - with LESS being MORE.

Once everything was taken down, I shopped my house. ;) 
I decided my kitchen needed art. 

So, that's what it got. 
Greens and golds are a recurring theme in this space, as well as every room in my home.

The pairing is such a romantic blend.

It also serves as a way to usher in Spring.
More green and gold...

This old bottle is my favorite. I love the muted green, as well as the gargoyle face. 
{And I snagged it for A DIME at a G sale.}
Then, there was the area above the cabinets. 
The ledge is so narrow - lending room enough for plates and not much more. 

Well, I didn't want to use plates. I took plates DOWN in the first place. 
After much searching, I fell in love with the 3 scrolled pieces from Hobby Lobby {half price}. 
Finally, I found this charming (and inexpensive) platter at an antique store and centered it between the two. Problem solved!
Lastly, I have to tell you a secret.

The kitchen island did NOT come with the house. Joey bartered for it many years ago. He designed a website for a great guy who owned a construction/home building company. In return, the new friend had this made for us. Talk about a divine connection!
And lest you think we're too fancy. Just remember...

 ...I spend so many of my evenings eating at this table.
Now, that's more like it.

Well, time to go get a post-blogging snack. ;)
Thanks for joining me!

 Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

35 comments:

Design_Fluff said...

It's really nice, you did an amazing job!:)

Stephanie said...

As always, it's beautiful :)

Hugs to you,
Stephanie

Savvy Seasons said...

Your kitchen looks A M A Z I N G!!
I love the colors and your accessorizing looks so elegant. Great job! Your making me want to re-think my kitchen. :) XOXO ~Liz

Dixie n Dottie said...

Everything looks so elegant and lovely, as well as the new the background of your blog!
http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

did you do all that in the middle of the night? I would be asleep :)

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Your kitchen is lovely and elegant. I especially like the vintage silver and lovely tablecloth. The cherub is a really cute piece too.

NanaDiana said...

You did a wonderful job. It is amazing, isn't it, how one think always leads to at least two more things! Your kitchen looks GREAT- xo Diana

Sherry at The Rusty Pearl said...

Meredith.. GIRL I love your HOUSE !!! I love it all , YOU have a knack for beautiful my sweet new friend... And I agree ..One thing leads to another when you start ... YOUR kitchen is ahhhhhhhhh-mazing .. LOVE It all and your blog.. Sherry @ The Rusty Pearl .........HUGS

Suzan Sweatman said...

What a beautiful home you have Meredith - and I SO get those middle of the night impulses lol.
I WANT THAT SOAP DISH lol
Hugs,
Suzan

Sarah said...

Love the green and gold! VERY springy and fresh. :)

Kendra Pahukoa said...

so pretty and love your new blog look too! :) super colorful.

Michell Pulliam said...

Love the kitchen makeover Meredith! Especially the wall art over the sink. Oh, and I love your new blog wallpaper. Have a good one!

Denise said...

that must have been an all nighter! It looks like you did a lot of work. But it certainly paid off. Everything looks wonderful.

Karen Mary Butterfly said...

Meredith, your kitchen is beautiful!! I do know how one thing leads to another!! It's very rich and elegant! Love it! Great deal on the island! It's wonderful when you make those connections!
Karen

thistlewoodfarm said...

Wow! Your kitchen is beautiful! You have such a true eye for design....especially those light fixtures!

blessings,
karianne

ms.composure said...

ok...i will admit...i am in LOVE with your kitchen!!!!!!

http://mscomposure.blogspot.com
http://www.infinitelifefitness.com

VFoley said...

Your title is awesome. And so is your kitchen..

following you via doing you well.

Vickie.
ohabbyday.blogspot.com

Ashley Ditto said...

Just gorgeous! Thank you so much for your encouraging words on my blog, they helped me so much

Pamela said...

Meredith your kitchen is beautiful! I love your lighting. I looked at that exact same light at HomeDepot. It is sooo pretty! Thanx for joining THT.

Angela ~ Call Her Blessed said...

I'm in the process of, well, just what you did! I got me some boxes & I've begun taking down all.my.stuff. I just need to see bare walls for a few days so I can rethink my decor choices. And then, I'll do what you did again ... shop my house. I just want a fresh look using my existing favorite items. Just mixing it up a bit. Hope mine turns out as lovely as yours. Blessings~

Lisa said...

You have a lovely blog. And I love all the vintage goodies in this post.

Anne @ The Pink Momma said...

that's gorgeous! Stopping by from Aloha blog hop. I'm a new follower too :)

Anne
http://www.iamannekehn.blogspot.com/

Kristina@Mother's NIche said...

It's beautiful! Following you!

PolkaDottyPlace said...

Love the updates and shopping your own house for decorations. Adorable new blog design too; so bright and cheerful!!

Grace @ Wrinkled Chiffon said...

Wow, you sound like me...up late at night with projects! Looks super amazing. Great job!

Have a great weekend!

xo Grace
www.wrinkledchiffon.com

Nicole @ Mendez Manor said...

I love the name of your blog! I found you on the blog hop and I am your latest GFC follower. I hope you come over and check out my blog too!
www.mendezmanor.com

ChatterBlossom said...

Wow! Those projects definitely do become more and more projects. That is the same way I feel about my shop. I get too many ideas and everything tumbles into one another. I love how you shopped your house though! Fun idea!
-Jamie
ChatterBlossom

Scarlett said...

Wow, what a beautiful job! And I think I need to go garage-saling with you!!! :)

Scarlett xo

Linda Primmer said...

Beautiful transformation. it looks so elegant. Love the color choice. One thing does lead to another and you have done a fabulous job. Love the scrolled pieces.

Oliva Ins said...

I love it :)
Come and visit me: www.olivains.com

Kathy Moody said...

Your kitchen looks awesome! You did a fabulous job. Love everything about it!!! Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent this week. I am so thrilled to have you share with us. Hope you are having a wonderful week. :)
Hugs
Kathy

Patty said...

You have a pretty kitchen!

Anna Stillwell said...

Happy anniversary! Love your blog and am a new follower:)

Ryann Hoyer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryann Hoyer said...

-From the lighting to the curtains and to paintings, everything was well thought of. Good job on giving your kitchen a classy and vintage feel. At first glance, I would think that this is a classy restaurant. Hehe! This is one kitchen I would love to have dinner dates with my wife every night. Thanks for sharing this!

Ryann Hoyer @Yancey Company