Monday, February 11, 2013

Our Real *Notebook* Exists {Story of Us}

When I say I married my best friend {nearly 8 years ago}, I mean that we were best friends first. In fact, Joey had plans to marry someone else. 

But a little notebook got in the way. 

This is the story of the *MAJJ*. 
The Meredith and Joey Journal. 
It was our freshman year at The Univ. of Tulsa, and Joey and I had been inseparable since day one when we met. 

So, on my 19th birthday, when my suite mate gifted me this little notebook, Joey had a suggestion. 

"Let's make it OUR journal. The Meredith and Joey journal...and we'll call it the MAJJ (pronounced "madge")." 

So we did. 
He jotted down his thoughts, then gave it to me in class or at lunch. 

Then, it was my turn. 

Sometimes the content was serious.
Sometimes it was funny.
And then it happened. He brought up the question of Us.

I remember looking over those words again and again - like a giddy school girl. 

So, we talked about it in person...and wrote about it in the MAJJ, of course. 

"I wouldn't be surprised if we did ever get together...Let's just see where the cards fall and take it from there..." ~Joey, Valentine's Day 2001

No boundaries were set, but the dialogue had officially begun. Sounds great, right? Yet, this is where the story takes a wrong turn.

When Joey went home for Spring Break, he ran into his ex and old feelings began to stir. I had known about their history, but I was shocked at the timing of this. And because he and I had established no labels, the two got back together. 

But, we still had the MAJJ. Despite our confused feelings, the journal coaxed us to write it all down. :)
And then one day, there in writing, Joey mentioned he had something he needed to tell me.

Later, I found out he intended to marry...her.

Just like in the real movie, I was heartbroken. But, I acted supportive and happy for my best friend. Even if I couldn't be with him, I truly wanted him to be happy.

{Here we are in my dorm room that semester.}

Don't worry, friends. We know how the story ends. ;)

And here's how the MAJJ helped it happen.

During lunch one day, we were eating together - his girlfriend and all. Suddenly, our guy friend picked up the MAJJ and asked, "What's this?!" Why had it been left out?

This moment was so terrifying and awkward that I STILL remember what I was wearing. The memory is branded in my head. 

He opened it, not knowing of its signifigance. "Oh, it's Meredith and Joey's journal! How cute."(Hee, hee. This *guy* would later be in our wedding!)

It wasn't so cute to Joey's visiting girlfriend, though. Her interest sparked, and she read the journal unbeknownst to Joey.

Although our written words were exploratory ONLY when Joey and Girlfriend weren't dating, it was enough to wreak havoc in their relationship. She broke up with him.

Although he was hurt, he had a best friend to help him through it. Me.

Knowing he wouldn't return to TU the next year, Joey wrote this...
We became a couple right after our freshman year ended. We'd break up and make up a handful of times. But, we eventually "stuck" and later married in March of 2005. 

***********
Thanks to this little notebook, the beginning of our history - the good and the bad - is documented.

When we wrote those words, we had no idea that it'd end in this:
and this:
and this:
The MAJJ isn't as great as the one Ryan Gosling made in The Notebook. But, to me and Joey, it's a bestseller.

 I treasure the story it tells.

{Page 1}

I love you, Joey. So much I can't contain it. 


 Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
 Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

40 comments:

Daphne Bryson said...

Good Morning Meredith, What a beautiful love story.....it was meant to be.
Your story sounds like a film from the cinema....if it was a film who would you have play your part?
I have been married 42 years and still love my husband as much as I did the first time I met him. It isn't always plain sailing, but love does see us through our ups and downs.
Have a wonderful Valentine's Day.
Best Wishes
Daphne

Megan @ EphesiansWife said...

Yall are adorable! I love the MAJJ idea :) Just as cute as in the movies!
Love ya girl! Have a great week!!
Megan

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

that is SO cool! and I like the happy ending

Wendy said...

Okay, trying not to tear up... Everything about this is perfect. Happy you guys stuck together! Even more happy that your guy friend was nosey! :)

Kendra Pahukoa said...

oh, i just love this.
what an amazing story you have to tell and you have the notebook which is the sweetest treasure!
:) thanks for sharing meredith

Michell Pulliam said...

Oh WOW Meredith...it's BETTER than The Notebook! How awesome is that! You guys definitely have to write a script and have a movie made! This is the sweetest post ever...so happy for you and your "best friend"! ;-)) Have a blessed week!;-)

Jessica Manz said...

Meredith .... this is the coolest thing EVER. It reminded me of when I was a freshman in high school. One of my closest friends (at the time) and I had what we called "The Notebook". We did this same thing...only we talked about our boyfriends, etc. It was great. Then my parents accidentally found it when I was in my 20's (why did I keep it??) and it was no good ... lol.

Your story is pretty amazing though!

Glad I stopped by!

Jessica from The Junk Nest

~ Liz ~ said...

Nothing like words on a page to solidify the moments. Thanks for sharing your story!
Liz

~Kristi~ said...

Oh, that is such an awesome story! God does write beautiful love stories - it looks like the two of you have played your parts perfectly! :)

Sandy said...

Meredith, this story is one for the books.. really. Hallmark Channel would love it!
You and your MAJJ have a wonderful
Valentines Day!!!
Thanks for your visit to my blog and
your sweet comments also.
Sandy

Amy said...

wow!!what a beautiful love story!!thanks for sharing it with us!Glad it ended with a good end,love this idea of MAJJ...
Have a great week!!

Danielle said...

What an awesome story you have! Thanks for sharing!

Rea T said...

OMG! this is a movie-worth-kind-of-story!! i think it made my cheeks red & ears kinda warm while i was reading this post Meredith!

you are a beautiful couple! life is really awesome! and so as love!

huggies♥
rea

Design_Fluff said...

Wow, Meredith, I wouldn't be surprised if someone picked this up and made it into a movie!

Denise said...

Oh Meredith, that is a great story. And yes, it should be made into a movie! Actually, a journal sounds like a great idea. Maybe more couples would "make it" if the took the time to write down their feelings. Good and bad!

Linda Primmer said...

So very sweet and sentimental. I love your story. How special. also a great way to celebrate Valentines.

dee -@ The Old Fat Hen said...

omg that is so wonderful.i love a true love story-love dee x

Suzan Sweatman said...

Meredith that is the most beautiful story!!!
Do you still write in MAJJ?
You should - a " notebook " for your children one day!
XOX

michelle @ this little light said...

Are you kidding?! That's totally better than The Notebook ... I love it!

Just found you through Prowess and Pearls and am now happily following along!

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

So sweet and such a great true story.

Happy Valentine's Day!

sandy said...

Sweet love story! Just like in the movies!
Have a wonderful week!
sandy :)

Emily - Emas Grand Ideas said...

Great story! Your wedding dress is beautiful!

I'm a new follower from Doing YOU WELL. Have a wonderful day!

victory said...

Beautiful story for a beautiful family- Blessings !

PolkaDottyPlace said...

Such a treasure!! Great proof of your love story from day 1 :)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

What a beautiful LOVE STORY and what a great way to start off valentine's day.

Blessings,
Linda

Amy said...

this is such a beautiful story, thank you for sharing!
Karen Kane Giveaway!
http://coffeebeansandbobbypins.blogspot.com/

the cape on the corner said...

this is the sweetest story. thank goodness the majj made its appearance and she saw it, so things worked out this way. what a crazy story!

Danielle Wood said...

How sweet! =) Happy Thursday!

Danielle

Patty said...

What a lovely story Meredith. You two have such a strong foundation. Maybe it could be a movie someday!

Julia Terpstra said...

Oh my goodness; that's the stuff fairy tales are made of. So glad you have your Happily Ever After! That was so inspiring to read; thanks a million for posting it! Following you from Doing You Well Wednesday... blessings to you!
Jules
http://www.bles-id.blogspot.com

ERICA said...

wow. you were meant to be! i admire your beautiful love story :) it's so romantic... thanks for sharing :) always stay in love :)

Karen A said...


Aw! I love this story! So cute and so sweet. :)

Kristin Dawn said...

Hey, new follower from the Aloha Friday Blog Hop. What a sweet, lovely story. Looking forward to checking out your blog some more! :)

xo,
Kristin
aboutagirl.ca

Lena said...

What a beautiful and amazing story of your love! I'm glad it all ended (or going) well :) Do you still write in MAJJ??

Jeannie and Linda said...

Hi Meredith, I really enjoyed reading your love story. Sounds like it was just meant to be. How cute is your son!
Jeannie

QueenMomJen said...

What a great story. Thanks for sharing. Happy to have found your blog.
http://www.practicallyperfectprincess.com

Sarah said...

Love this Meredith! Just hopped over from Kelly's Korner and had to say hi! The hubs and I actually have a notebook as well that we've had for years in which we write note to each other and place them in spots for the other to someday find. I LOVE it, but your story is so much more. Crazy where life takes us, isn't it?

Stacey said...

Such a beautiful post - how sweet the memory of that book is!
Thanks for linking to the Creative inspirations Party!
Stacey of Embracing Change

NanaDiana said...

What a beautiful, beautiful story and journal. What an amazing relationship-that God brought you together through the written word!

My hubby and I dated 30 days and got married-37+ years ago- and here we are~ xo Dana

Cindy said...

this is absolutely precious! I'm jealous. A guy who can write thoughtful things down...it's amazing. I can't believe there are men out there than can do that.