Tuesday, January 29, 2013

*My Dining Area Reveal*

It's time for dinner at the Garrett Homestead.


Close the book...

...have a seat...
...and pass the rolls.
{Cue the needle scratching the record, as we step into real life.}

Um. This is NOT how we dine. The real version is portrayed a bit later.

But, let a girl pretend. Let me imagine I'm entertaining guests {other than my toddlers} and enjoying dinner companionship {more than 2 nights out of the week}. 
And, if you let me pretend, I'll be a peach and share all my little secrets with you! {Like the glass goblets are from The Dollar Tree.}

And this huge, golden mirror was just $20 new at...Family Dollar! {It's amazing what you find while running in for diaper rash cream.}
The beautiful flatware was found at an antique store for .99 cents each. Maybe I'll use it to cut my little smokies during the Super Bowl! ;)


The vintage linen napkins were .65 cents each. I found them in a forgotten basket at another antique store.
Try not to notice the delicate "tablecloth" is really a panel of curtains, which I stole from the guest room. 
{You know, the one with NO windows? I hung curtains to create an illusion.} 
One day, I'll finally get a new table that seats more. I'll say goodbye to the "this will do" table that we purchased when we got married. But until then, I'll be thankful I HAVE a table and shut up.
 
I'm really into pairing green and gold right now. 
I think marrying the two colors is a classic, elegant touch.

I decided to keep it simple, yet interesting on the narrow wall opposite the table. 
Grayson asked me, "Who's that kid, mama?" 
Ha ha! I love how he refers to everyone as a "kid."
Speaking of kids, this is what dinner is like MOST of the time. We're eating at the little red table, and everyone's having a good time. I almost don't notice when my bottom goes numb from sitting on their impossible little chairs. 
{Grayson wanted Cool Whip for dessert. And, yes, there are TWO rolls on my plate. Leave me alone.}

Come back soon for my Kitchen Reveal. I'm excited about the changes I've made!
Until next time...

~Meredith

This week I'm linking up with these lovely blogs:
A Bouquet of Talent at Life On Lakeshore Drive
 Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
 Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

36 comments:

Megan @ EphesiansWife said...

It looks so beautiful! I love it-well done :)

Jayma DuChene said...

Thanks for following me as well! Beautiful pics!! :)

Jayma @ http://jaymastips.blogspot.com

God is Good!

Danielle said...

How beautiful, I especially love the silverware :)

Michell Pulliam said...

Lol Meredith! I thought I was the only one who put curtains on an invisible window(I did that in my office). I too have a decked out dining room, but everyone eats in the kitchen...go figure! I'll go in there sometimes and have a pretend tea party with myself! LOL! Don't you just LOVE bargains(GREAT finds, btw). I especially love the goblets!! You did an excellent job! I have a motto..."it's a sin to pay full price for ANYTHING" :-) Have a blessed day my friend! ;-)

~Kristi~ said...

I love it! You do a great job! (wish I could have you come and decorate my house) :)

Divine Theatre said...

I love the way you write! This post reminded me of a nursery rhyme I remember from childhood...

Get up, get up, you sleepyhead,
Get up you lazy sinner;
We need those sheets for tablecloths
It's nearly time for dinner!

xo

Andie

Dixie n Dottie said...

It's so elegant! :)
http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

a girl can never have to many rolls!!! I like to pretend play sometime...makes me feel like a kid again :)

Denise Marie said...

Lovely!! Favs..light fixture, centerpiece and small wall treatment. We would have fun shopping together!! I love the name Grayson!

Denise Marie said...

Lovely!! Favs..light fixture, centerpiece and small wall treatment. We would have fun shopping together!! I love the name Grayson!

chateau chic said...

Your dining room looks so pretty with all your great finds! Love the sparkly chandelier.
Mary Alice

ANDYSTYLE said...

super pretty

Leslie Germain said...

Thanks for sharing your word with me. Love what you chose. Thanks for visiting my blog (the memory nest):)

Rea T said...

it looks elegant Meredith, the chandy is my favorite :)

huggies♥
rea

ChatterBlossom said...

That is such a romantic dining space! You wouldn't even need to go out to get the "dining out" atmosphere!
-Jamie
ChatterBlossom

Jenna LaFevor said...

Looks great! Love the chandelier!

Jenna @ http://rainonatinroof.com

Lena said...

This turned out great, so elegant!!

Debra @ Common Ground said...

really pretty, Meredith, but having dinner with our kiddos is always the best "dinner party"!!

Mom In The USA said...

Hi Meredith,
It's so pretty. I love the touch of lace and gold. They are just a classic pairing.
Thank you for linking up with us on the Thumping Thursdays Blog Hop.

Karina
http://momintheusa.blogspot.com

Kathy Moody said...

Your dining room looks gorgeous! Love your blog, too! Your newest follower from Embracing Change. :)

Kathy @ http://www.lifeonlakeshoredrive.com

The Honeysuckle Bus Stop said...

Very pretty. Love all your color selections!

Amber @ The Honeysuckle Bus Stop

Stephanie said...

Wow, I am impressed with your thriftiness :) I love it when things are inexpensive, yet still elegant and charming. Everything looks amazing and I can't believe your gorgeous table cloth is a curtain! Love it :)

Happy weekend!

Hugs,
Stephanie

terr davidson said...

It' looks amazing x

check out my cath kidston giveaway 1stepclosereveryday.blogspot.co.uk

victory said...

Looks like you have a knack for decorating - and you did it very economically!

Linda Primmer said...

Everything looks fabulous! I especially like the chandelier. I always use curtains, throws, sheets for tablecloths.
Who knows? I do see your wine glasses. Such a bargain. We used to add a sheet of plywood over our small table
To extend the length. Great reveal!

ShaunaQ said...

Everything looks beautiful! And I love a chandelier with beads or ribbon or something to live it up! Great job!

T.A. Woods said...

Brilliant! I love how you found the most interesting items at the Family Dollar. I miss them. They don't have them out here. :(

Hopped over from the Aloha Hop. Hope you'll stop by http://penpaperpad.com and say hi.

Aloha!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

I love this post, so perfect. I think your dining room is wonderful and yes, it looks amazing with all of your thrifty finds. Great job. Hugs, Marty

Annmarie Pipa said...

sooo lovely!! the romance is the charm!

Christina @ Floridays Mom said...

Its my first time at your blog, I love your dining room and the paring of green and gold, so timeless. Just beautiful.

Stacey said...

Looks lovely!
Thanks for sharing with us!
Stacey of Embracing Change

dee -@ The Old Fat Hen said...

looks beautiful-love dee x

Pamela said...

Yes, your chandy is beautiful! I have been looking at it at HomeDepot for awhile now. I think I want the ceiling mount fixture that matches for our pantry. Thanx for stopping by earlier!:) Hope you visit again soon.

kelekia1 said...

You have made your house a "Home" a place that is warm and inviting to come home to. A place of refuge for your family after being out in the world all day long. This is what home making is all about. Have a Simply Heavenly Day!!! :):):)

ERICA said...

congratulations on your next wonder :) i like what u said about a boy securing a special place in his heart for his mom :) id hope my boy feel the same
God bless you :)

your new follower,
The Girl with the Muji Hat

Design_Fluff said...

You did an amazing job on the walls. :)

I can't wait to see what you do with the kitchen!