Saturday, January 12, 2013

30 Was A Good Year...The Year of *No*

My 31st birthday arrives on the 21st, and I have to tell you...
...when I turned 30, it was like a switch went off! I started saying "No" so much more. 
I did a better job at turning down requests and invitations to do various things regardless of whom I disappointed. 
I'm with two toddlers ALL day, EVERY day. This isn't a season in my life where I can be overly available. 
I also spoke up for myself more when I felt passionate about something, even if it could potentially "hurt" a relationship (it never did). 
I was very tactful, diplomatic and friendly about all of this - don't worry! I'm not a confrontational person. However, turning 30 sort of gave me the confidence to...get out of my comfort zone and not care so much. 
At 30, I went on two dates with my husband!!! (One was work related, but I'm counting it!) That's amazing for us. Joey works long hours and on weekends, so we can't just "grab a sitter."
This age was unapologetic. I mean, if I wanted to eat pizza rolls with iced tea for breakfast, I did it.
And sometimes, I even sent pictures to Joey to prove I actually dress for the day - ha ha! 
{I'm in my bird shirt. Cah!}
Oh, and there was my brave solo drive down to Austin for my best friend's wedding! (I'm in the pink heels.)
My whole family, including myself, thought I'd end up in Maine somehow. But, OnStar was wonderful! (Or did I get to Austin in one piece because I'm now 30, older and wiser?) ;)
Regardless of the "age-defying products" I'm now using religiously, I think my thirties will bring new joys. 
I'll watch my kids experience life, and we'll make new memories to cherish.
And who knows...maybe one of these days I'll get a picture without Grayson or Sutton moving all over the place. :)
I don't think 30 is old. I think "old" is a state of mind. You may age, but you don't have to get old. 

And why complain about age when the time God gives us on earth is such a gift?!


This week I'm linking up with these lovely blogs:

8 comments:

Dixie n Dottie said...

Happy Early Birthday! Looks like you had a good year! May you have an even better one this year! :)
http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

I just told my husband yesterday that getting older is a good thing...it means we are alive! And look at you? getting dress to stay at home with the children? well done! (I am getting better at it)

sandy said...

I agree age is a state of mind! And ALL time is a gift. Saying "no" to some things is just being intentional in keeping your priorities straight and using your time wisely.
I'm doing a FREE online workshop, entitled, "Live Your Dream Life NOW". It involves creating your life with your priorities in mind. If you'd like to follow along just e-mail me. More info on my Nov. 26th post and the first session was Jan 7th.
OH! And your boys are adorable! Totally worth saying "no" to some things to spend your time with them.
sandy at Hob Nobbers ;)

dee -@ The Old Fat Hen said...

Hi i think your year of 30 certaintly involved change.I did that when i turned 30 I just seemed to change or maybe grow up overnight.Well now I am nearly 50 OH how that hurts.I have my first grandson being born in march.my only child is turning 30 I feel so old and now it has been 5 years since we got custody of the LM (he is my newphew ) I think my word for 50 will be rest-love dee x ps your kids are sooooo cute x

ms.composure said...

stumbled on your blog via the blog hop at:
http://www.whatjeanlikes.com/

awww VERY cute pics that you shared!
Def enjoyed this post!

New follower via email! :-)

http://mscomposure.blogspot.com
http://www.infinitelifefitness.com

Cortney said...

You look so pretty in all of your pictures! Glad I came across your blog!

Rea T said...

i definitely agree with you that age is just a state of mind :) we are lucky to be able to reach at a certain age, other people don't...so every birthday is always a blessing from God...

huggies***
rea

Anonymous said...

Account has proved that even in the ancient times, of male enhancement
Organization is to the full sure-footed this production whole kit and boodle.
They said I felt up between patches and pills is the way they
lot the ingredients.
my webpage - web page