Sunday, November 11, 2012

My {Coat Closet} Home Office

Welcome to my home office - where I'm typing this very post!

Our previous homeowners turned this coat closet into an office space, and it's one of my favorite places in the house.
When entering my home, you'd never know an office was behind this door.

My office is just the right size, and has a built-in keyboard and mouse pad.

Additionally, it has a little shelf where I keep my Bill and Medical Binders.
The rug? $9 at a garage sale.
The wonderful chair? $10 at a garage sale.
(Thanks, Sis, for spotting both for me!)
As for what's on the shelves...

I firmly believe diplomas should be framed!
Top shelf: On each side of my diploma (which is in a $1 frame) rest two thank you notes I received from kids pursuant to an author visit I did. 
Bottom shelf: Joey's diploma, two toil-like plates, one of the first plays I wrote (and performed) in the 4th grade.....and the speech I wrote and read at my papa's funeral in 2006.

Elevating a lamp by placing it atop books is one of my favorite ways to decorate.
{Wuthering Heights & Where the Sidewalk Ends. Two of the best ever.}
Wall decor. 
Above: A newspaper article in The Daily Oklahoma featuring me in 2010. Since I'll probably never be in the paper again? I had to frame it. Ha ha!

Below: My chalkboard and beloved donkey plate.

So long, sweet friends. Thanks for stopping by!
Thought For the Day: A home office is relative to your living space. You don't even need a room! Use a kitchen hutch, place a desk in a closet, make a nook in your living room area. Just get organized and go from there!


This week, I'll be linking up with:
 and 2805

17 comments:

Rea T said...

really nice :) i like surprises, especially if it's something functional like your office!

dropping by from the dedicated house,
come and visit me back at:
http://homefor4sweethome.blogspot.com/

huggies***
rea

Trisha said...

Perfect! I just turned an old closet in my house into a reading nook...great minds think alike!

~Trisha

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

Nice! I have my office in the guest room closet :)

Allison White said...

I remember walking through your house with you before you put in the offer to buy it and thinking this little office is my favorite room! Yes, the previous owners may have turned it into an office but you take it to the next level by making it cozy and beautiful!

Kathy Shea Mormino said...

I'd like to invite you to join me at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week! http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-8-and-rural.html

I hope to see you there!
Cheers!
Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick

Designs By Pinky said...

I had my dressing table in my master closet in the old house. Now in this new house there isn't room:(:( I just ordered a new vanity table that will LOOK NICE out in the open:):) LOVE your office space! XO, Pinky

Karen said...

That is such a great idea. I may do something similar in one of my bedrooms... that is after the kids move out lol.

suzyq said...

We had one in our last home too!!! Yours is fantastic!
Your newest follower - would love to have you follow back when you have the time!
Hugs,
Suzan

Wild Oak Designs said...

It is cute...and I love that you can shut the door!
How nice that it had power for lights...
Great idea...
Nancy
http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

must love junk said...

I love your office! Such a cozy little nook! :)
Susan

Mel@Mellywood's Mansion said...

What a great idea. I wish I had a spare cupboard, but I do have a couple of nooks :)

debra said...

A cozy nook...very nice! :)

Sippy Cups and Pearls said...

such a brilliant idea! talking about making the most out of your space!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Meredith: I came over from Friday Block Party and I am so envious of your office space. I too have mine in a closet but it sure doesn't look like yours..Happy New Year..Judy

Denise Marie said...

luv it! I am your newest follower. I have family in Tulsa area.

Clayton Steadham said...

What a nice room! The size doesn’t really matter in an office space, as long as you’re comfortable with it and it helps you to be more productive. Also, the advantage of your space is you can avoid clutter because it doesn’t have room for it. Anyway, I’m glad that you’re happy with your own space, and I’m sure you’re having a great time working there.

Clayton Steadham

Chelsea Kent said...

This is one of the best office ideas yet! Who would have thought that a coat closet can become an office? Little surprises like these can make charming additions to a house. It's small and functional, and as long as it's comfortable, why not? Thank you for this truly inspiring idea.