Wednesday, November 28, 2012

16 Money-Saving Tips!!

Hello, new and old friends. I'm Meredith, and I'm thrilled to be sharing this post at Blissful and Domestic - thanks Danielle! On my blog, I frequently share money-saving tips with my readers. And today I want to reiterate some of my old tricks, as well as offer some new ideas. 
Before we get started, you should know..... I'm 30, I'm thrifty and I'm thankful for the blessings the Lord has given me. I'm from Oklahoma City, and I'm a faith-filled, family-oriented SAH mom of 2. See how I decorate my home on a dime, and get to know me over at The Laundry Can Wait.
Ready??

Saving Money On Fast Food and Groceries
1) Keep your fast food receipts and eat again for free! Often times, there's an opportunity to complete an online survey and then you write the code down on your receipt to go back and get something on-the-house. (Below are some of my own examples.)
2) Use Coupons. (Click HERE for my tutorial.)
3) Shop at ALDI. It's cheaper than most stores. But be sure to bring your own plastic bags and a quarter to borrow the shopping cart. I promise it's worth all the trouble. Also, they only take debit cards and cash. Below are a few pictures I took during a recent visit.
{Ground turkey is much cheaper than beef. For just $1.69, use it for spaghetti, burgers...anything!}
{Chicken nuggets are a must-have for my kiddos.}
(Don't let the ALDI brands scare you off. It all tastes just as good as your favorite brands. 
Did I mention a gallon of milk is only $2.69??}

Saving Money On Clothes and Accessories
4) Shop garage sales - if you don't already. Garage saling changed my life. Correction - I wasn't LIVING before I began garage saling. Hooray for my versatile, pocketed LBD from TARGET that I found...at a garage sale for .50 CENTS!!
5) Shop resale and thrift stores - if you don't already. Remember Amy's wedding back in September? I got my turquoise dress from Daisy Exchange (consignment) for $16.50...
and the black formal piece from the Goodwill for $4.99. 
It pays to shop inexpensively! Especially on pieces you won't wear that often.

6) Buy TIMELESS pieces, not time-SENSITIVE pieces. Trends come and go, so buy the things that will last over time! Make your money work for you, and you won't have to buy so much year-round. You'll always have what's in style. For example....
My black leather boots will always work, and they go with jeans AND skirts. The best part? I paid just $8.50 for these at a consignment shop. They were hardly worn!
Red nail polish is always a classic choice. No need to buy every color of the rainbow just because it's cool.
 

MAKING Extra Money
7) Sell your clothes already! Go to your local consignment shops and sell your clothes, shoes, accessories and more (just don't expect a ton of money). You can also use store credit to buy the clothes you need.
8) Sell your music or DVDs at entertainment stores.

9) Sell home decor - you name it- on Craigslist. Limit your personal information when posting your ad, and always meet up in a public, well-lit place. I sell a lot of items on Craigslist, but I use the buddy system to be careful. Safety is paramount!
{I found this charming desk on the side of the road as "trash." With all my might, I loaded it in the back of my SUV, took it home, posted this picture on Craigslist and subsequently sold it for $65. ALL PROFIT. }
{I also sold this shabby chic Roadside Rescue for $40. ALL PROFIT. Contact me if you have questions about how to sell on Craigslist.}

10) Sell your talents. Let people know what you do, have or make. And market yourself.

Saving Money On Bills
11) Switch your gas and electric bills to the averaging plan. Why? This takes away the guessing each month. I know exactly how much to budget (give or take $10) between my OG&E bill and my natural gas bill each month. All you have to do is call the number on the bill and ask to set this up. It really does average out to be the same as if you pay a lot in the summer and a little in the winter on each respective bill.
12) Unplug your utilities when you're not using them. The less energy you use, the smaller your bill will be.

13) Give up a habit. Sigh. I know. This one's hard. But habits can be costly. Joey and I recently "quit" pop. (Shhhh! We secretly caved one Saturday night!) It's saving us a lot of money already! No incorporating that in our grocery bills, as well as the "fun" food we often ate to go with it. What can YOU give up?
14) Get rid of your landline. You probably do most of your talking on your cell anyway. 

15) Stop renting movies and check them out from the library for FREE! You can check out "grown-up" movies for a free movie night. They have so many classics and current Oscar winners to choose from. They also have loads of kids movies (Disney and Pixar, etc.) and videos (i.e. Barney, Caillou, Blue's Clues, Elmo...). Here are the educational videos currently atop our armoire:
16) Say NO to cable. Come ON. Do you REALLY need to watch more Honey Boo Boo or Housewives trashing each other?? It's liberating to not "have" to watch all your shows. You forget they exist, and you actually spend time doing other things around the house. Plus, it's saved us about $100 each month!
Friends, I hope you've found at least one tip that works for you. I'm not THE most money-savvy gal in the world, but I do what I can. Thanks for reading, and I welcome the opportunity to follow my followers and get to know you more at The Laundry Can Wait!



9 comments:

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

great minds think alike! you would be proud to know I do all of the above! I mean all. And absolutely love ALdi!

Cindy said...

Not having cable is wonderful! I gave it up 3 years ago. I've saved a lot of money. Plus it is nothing but reality t.v now!

sandy said...

Wow Lots of ideas here...Something for everyone! Thanks for sharing these valuable tips!
Especially needed in this economy!
sandy ")

Judy diyAddict said...

I am impressed with your money saving tips. How fun it is get something from eating at a fast-food. Just bloghopping. saw you in aloha friday linky party.

Judy
www.do8urself.blogspot.com
(Pursuit of Functional Home)

Danielle Smiley said...

Awesome tips! I love your roadside rescues! I actually told my fiancé a couple days ago that he's going to have to get a truck soon so I can pick up furniture that people leave on the road to throw away(those people are crazy!). Thanks for your comment on my post over at Blissful and Domestic! I am a new follower of yours now :)

<3 Danielle
Goodwillista.blogspot.com

Chelsea Maxwell said...

Hey Meredith! I found you through the Aloha Friday blog hop & I'm so glad I did! I love these money saving tips-I mean who doesn't love to save money?!Thanks for sharing & I look forward to following your blog!
Be blessed :)
Chelsea @ http://fromchrysalistobutterfly.blogspot.com

Allan Morais said...

Great tips! There are many resources around that are for free, like using books in the library. And ways that would save us money, like cutting the landline. We just have to make a little effort to make use of them. These are very simple, yet effective ways of saving money.

Allan Morais @Paddon + Yorke Inc.

Eustolia Nitta said...

Nice! Selling things you don't use and need anymore can definitely help you save up. You can raid your closet and do a garage sale. Invite your family and friends. There sure is someone who would love to have your old stuff.

Eustolia Nitta @Sunset Payday

Jaden Allred said...

I love your money saving tips! Business-minded people will surely agree with some of your advice here. The “making extra money” part was highly informative and I think everyone should try it. If you think that you are spending beyond your means, then it's time to wake up and think about it. If you can't cut the lavish lifestyle then adjust the other side: earning. Work more so you can spend more.

Jaden Allred @Toronto Bankruptcy Advice