Sunday, September 16, 2012

Do You Make Good "Deposits"?

One day, I was grocery shopping, and an older lady stopped me and said, "Well, don't you look cute." Guess what? Now every time I wear that particular outfit, I remember her words. Has something like that ever happened to you? You get a compliment, and it sticks with you?
I recently watched a broadcast that Joel Osteen did (yes, I watch him. He is also friends with my pastor at Victory Church here in Oklahoma City). The message was about depositing good words in people - going out of your way to encourage, lift up or compliment someone. 

I've written a few times about the power of a compliment, and I honestly make an effort to say nice things to people. (I know I could always do better, and I'm not trying to toot my own horn. But, I really do make an effort. I'll spare you the examples.)
So, I'm taking it to a new level. If I'm shopping and I see a girl wearing something I think is really cute, I tell her. If I like the shade of lipstick on the waitress, I tell her. If someone provides me great service, I tell not them, but his or her superior. 

Just like I don't forget the nice things people have said to or done for me, I hope that any good I am doing will resonate with others. 

Thought For the Day: Never withhold a kind word or deed. It could truly make a lasting impression on someone's life. 


1 comment:

PolkaDottyPlace said...

LOVE this post!! I've put an emphasis on giving compliments in my classroom and now my students are catching on. They give compliments and I had them give a few compliments for homework the other night. Kind words go a long way :) Everyone loves to hear nice things. Thanks for the reminder.