Tuesday, July 17, 2012

My Latest Author Visit

Today I broke my year-long stretch since my last author visit to read Penny and the Polka Dot Shoes and speak with children. I sort of felt like it was the first day of school again - ha ha!
I've been taking time off from "being a famous author" (note the sarcasm) in order to adjust to being a mom of two. Sutton's 10 months old now, and some days I still feel overwhelmed!

Here I am at my last author visit when I was 31 weeks pregnant with her: 
I know I look the same, but I can assure you - I was hiding a pretty big bump behind those kids. 

I hadn't really set a time to get back in the groove of things, but I was contacted by the director of the Chesapeake Child Development Center and asked to visit during July when they were highlighting local authors. (Their director was GREAT to work with, by the way.)
The center is...like...the best place on earth. I mean, when you arrive, the BUILDING says, "Hi." Why, oh, why did I forget to take actual pictures of the outside entrance and lobby?
I presented in this huge (and very colorful) room.
Here's my little chair and such...
I always read my book in very dramatic voices and expressions. You would really get a kick out of it! The kids always hate the snooty boots at the beginning of the story. I read to three groups today. Here I am with the last group. 
It was a good day, and I was glad to meet all those cute children!!

Thought For the Day: Never dismiss the possibility that one opportunity can lead to another. That's how this visit came about. :)

1 comment:

Monica said...

Meredith, that is fantastic that you got the opportunity to do an author visit!!! It looked like great fun!! One of the aspects I miss about teaching is reading to children and sharing my love of books. I can imagine what a fabulous job you do of reading your book to children!! :)