Monday, July 30, 2012

My Bathroom Makeover

Welcome to my new bathroom - a "French powder room" inspired design. When Sutton turned 9 months and "officially" moved out of our room, I felt a burning desire to re-paint, re-tile and re-design our master bathroom. Unfortunately for Joey, it's now too girly and by purpose default all mine. 
I kind of wanted it to feel "hotelish." As if I were on a European vacation staying in a cozy bungalow...
with a courtyard outside. Hey, can't a girl pretend?
Bringing the outside in serves dual purposes. It provides a calming atmosphere, and it lends a vibrant splash of color as well. 
A pedestal was the perfect alternative to a little table.
 
This rug is as soft as it is beautiful. I found it at Garden Ridge.
It reminded me of a mural on a ceiling. 
I wanted to fancy up the soap dish to make it feel a bit more authentic. So, when I found this old silver dish at a garage sale, I was excited. I was even MORE excited when I saw it was .25 cents!! My mom gave me the vintage AVON soap. 
If you're curious about the drapery, I used to have the material over my canopy bed while I was in college. To keep my small bathroom open and airy, I wound the fabric over a rod and tied knots. 
Wall art seen below is from Hobby Lobby. I found it on their clearance aisle for $13.60, which was a huge discount. 
Moving on to my shelf...I love this old AVON perfume bust. 
I mean, really. It's exactly what I had in mind, and I found it at an antique store. Add a string of pearls and, as the French would say, "Viola!" 
I chose antique blue for the candlestick color.
I FINALLY found a place for these glass candleholders. They are from Tiffany's (a stark contrast to the  inexpensive items all around), and were a wedding present. I'm sorry to confess they've been sitting in a closet with no place to go for so long. 
This vintage AVON perfume bottle rests on the far end, and was also purchased at an antique store.
This shelf only cost me $1.50. It's perfect because the long length anchors the wall, plus it has knobs so I may hang clothes, jewelry, etc. I painted it black and distressed the wood with sandpaper. I like the way it turned out, especially because I'm new at this "do it yourself" business. 
I did the same thing with the mirror over the sink. It's pretty big in scale, and I just realized that's the ONE shot I didn't get a picture of. Oh well...follow up post?
I've always been drawn to oval pictures/frames such as the ones below.  
I know what you're thinking. "Meredith, did you get in your time machine and buy those in 1837?"
The answer is no. I found them in a forgotten box at a sale and paid just .50 cents for each. {Swoon.}
Lastly, the shower curtain was my inspiration piece. The lace on top is a nice, flirty touch, as well as the embellishments below.
And for all you really nosy people, here's the inside of the shower. ;)
Au revoir!

Thought For the Day: When women decide we want to do something, we want it done yesterday. This project was no exception, but it took me about a month to complete. I'd love to hear your thoughts, and (as always) thanks for stopping by.


This week, I'll be linking up with:
 and 2805

22 comments:

Suzy said...

Love your girly bathroom! I think you achieved your goal of making it look hotelish. The shower curtain is just too cute!

A Vintage Fairy said...

I love the bathroom window, so pretty!

chateau chic said...

Your bathroom is so lovely! Love all your touches to give it that European flair.
I'm happy to be a new follower and hope you'll stop by.
Mary Alice

believeninspire said...

WOW! That's one super cool bathroom! And I would love it if you link this up at my party on Saturday on my blog
http://believeninspire.wordpress.com :D

Have a nice day! :)
Javeriya

Camellia Jhonson said...

Amazing bathroom make over, placing over the sink is really nice, love your bathroom especially the curtains, worthy to try out.
tub chair

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download
it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple
adjustements would really make my blog jump out. Please let me
know where you got your design. With thanks

Have a look at my weblog ... rat rod

Anonymous said...

Hi there to every body, it's my first pay a visit of this web site; this website contains awesome and truly fine information for readers.

Feel free to surf to my blog: companion pet clinic salem oregon

Anonymous said...

you're truly a good webmaster. The site loading speed is incredible. It kind of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you have done a wonderful job on this matter!

Feel free to visit my web blog: cheap dumbbells

Anonymous said...

You could certainly see your skills in the work you write.
The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid
to mention how they believe. At all times follow your heart.



my homepage ... organization will purchase

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!
Very helpful information particularly the closing part
:) I care for such information much. I used to be looking for this
particular info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.


Here is my blog :: photoshop nightclub flyers

Anonymous said...

I have been surfing online more than 4 hours today, yet
I never found any interesting article like yours.
It's pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.

my website - phen375 phentermine

Anonymous said...

I was extremely pleased to uncover this web site. I need to
to thank you for your time due to this fantastic read!!

I definitely savored every little bit of it and i also have you saved to fav to check out new stuff in your web site.


Feel free to surf to my web page: stone age diet

Anonymous said...

Can I simply just say what a relief to discover a person that
genuinely knows what they are talking about online.
You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
A lot more people really need to look at this and
understand this side of your story. It's surprising you aren't more popular since you most certainly have the gift.


my web blog advantage 10 for dogs

Anonymous said...

Hello there! This blog post couldn't be written much better! Looking through this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He always kept preaching about this. I am going to forward this information to him. Fairly certain he's going to have a great read.
Thanks for sharing!

Feel free to visit my webpage :: nightclub flyer

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back
to your webpage? My website is in the exact
same niche as yours and my users would definitely benefit from some of the information you provide here.
Please let me know if this ok with you. Thank you!



Visit my blog post companion pet clinic portland

Anonymous said...

Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was
extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm
thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any suggestions for beginner blog writers? I'd
definitely appreciate it.

my blog - ricambi auto multimarca

Anonymous said...

Wonderful goods from you, man. I've take into accout your stuff previous to and you're just too wonderful.

I really like what you have received right here, certainly like
what you're stating and the way in which through which you say it. You make it entertaining and you continue to take care of to keep it smart. I can't wait to read far more from you.
This is actually a terrific web site.

Check out my page: hot rod art

Anonymous said...

I don't even understand how I ended up here, however I thought this publish was once great. I don't recognize who you might be but certainly you
are going to a well-known blogger in the event you are not already.

Cheers!

my web blog - vinyl floor

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that,
this is fantastic blog. An excellent read. I will definitely be
back.

my web page - psd party flyer templates

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring
writers? I'm hoping to start my own website soon but I'm a little
lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid
option? There are so many options out there that I'm totally overwhelmed .. Any tips? Many thanks!

Here is my page vinyl floor tiles

Anonymous said...

What's up, I wish for to subscribe for this website to take latest updates, therefore where can i do it please help.

Also visit my website - dumbell sets

Anonymous said...

Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my apple ipad and tested to see
if it can survive a forty foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation.
My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
I know this is totally off topic but I had to share it with someone!



Also visit my web site paleo diet plan