Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What's Your Credit Score?

No, I don't want you to tell me. I just want to see if YOU know.

About every six months, I review my credit report and get my score for FREE. And you can to, but I'll get to that in a second.

In this economy, you need to know what cards you hold. Even if your FICO number is low, it's better to know it so that you can work to improve it. If you do wish to hike up your score, here are some ways that you can:

1) Review your credit report. It's recommended to stay abreast of your credit report to monitor fraudulent activity that you may not otherwise be aware of.

2) Pay your bills on time! Stay in good standing. Set up payment reminders for yourself if you have to.

3) Reduce the amount of debt you owe. This may take awhile, but over time you will see your score rise as your debt balances shrink.

You can find more helpful tips here. So how do you check your credit report from a trusted source? I use www.annualcreditreport.com. I have always been pleased with this site. They give you the option of checking through one or all of the following: TransUnion, Equifax or Experian. These individual sites then offer you the option of a free trial period to get your credit score. Go for it! If you don't want to pay the monthly membership fee, then be sure to call and cancel your trial period within the allotted time (which is usually 7-14 days) and your credit card will not be charged.

Hope this helps!! I'm not Suze Orman, but I do try to keep up with my credit history.Thought For the Day: Ignorance is not always bliss. Know your score so you can make wiser financial decisions and/or maintain the quality of your credit. Good luck, friends!!

1 comment:

Lindsay Erin said...

Wanted to let you know your post made me get my credit report and my score. I've been putting it off because I was afraid of the post-divorce rating but it was better than I thought and it made me :)