Monday, July 11, 2011

Well...What Would YOU Have Said?

Have you ever seen that Geico commercial where Abe Lincoln's wife asks him if her dress makes her backside look big...and he gives her the "just a little bit" fingers?

Does he suck, or should she not have asked a question that she didn't want the answer to? Well?

I was involved in a similar situation like that today...with a perfect stranger. I was browsing a store, and Grayson got loose.

Like a sweaty silverback gorilla, I chased after him with the cart in the poorly air conditioned building. Just as I spotted Pac Man, I mean Grayson, a girl about my age asked me for my Honest Opinion. Oh and dear.

"Do these [strappy gold prom type] heels make my feet look big [chubby, fat]?" I CANNOT remember which word she used, but the answer was...(gulp)...yes.

Remember, SHE asked ME. I was not judging her - it was simply a matter of fact that the shoes didn't fit her feet well.

So...

I thought, "Meredith, just say they look great and snag your son while you have the chance."But, in a moment of woman to woman honesty, I ACTUALLY gave her the "just a little bit" fingers!! Oh and DEAR.

"You asked me to be totally honest." I said (in my defense), as she nodded enthusiastically as if she was fine with the answer.

"No, thank you! I think from here to here (pointing to a section of her foot) the straps look too tight..." she said, as I put Grayson in the cart and gave him The Look.

I'm at a loss at how the encounter concluded, but I walked away feeling like a horrible person. I truly thought it was better to be honest, as I would want someone to tell ME if something just didn't work (assuming of course that I had asked first, people!).

Perhaps I could've delivered the news a little better, but I was frantically trying to contain my son and didn't have time to think of a rosy way to put it.

So, ladies...

Thought For the Day: Is it better to be honest with our friends/women when they ask the "how does this fill-in-the-blank look" question, or do you tend to tell white lies?

5 comments:

Leslee said...

I think you did the right thing! Better she hear an honest opinion up front than to waste money on a pair of shoes that don't look right and would probably end up collecting dust in the closet. I speak from experience!

Coulters Gone Country said...

OMG!!! With a stranger I would have lied my butt off. Never know when you are dealing with a potential serial killer. But with those near and dear, I would have found a way to politely suggest something more suitable. But you do have a point...she asked!

Lindsay Erin said...

I'd be honest. She knew that her feet looked fat and that is why she asked. You gave her a specific answer which was probably helpful!

Joey Garrett said...

Holy moly! Yet another thing that we men don't understand about you women. I ALWAYS expect the honest answer, even if it does make me cry ;)

Joey Garrett said...

Holy moly! Yet another thing that we men don't understand about you women. I ALWAYS expect the honest answer, even if it does make me cry ;)