Tuesday, July 5, 2011

How To Coupon: A Step-By-Step Guide To Saving $

See all this food? The total BEFORE coupons and sale prices was $110. AFTER coupons and sale prices........$27!!And these items were FREE with coupons. Guest blogging today is my sister and Coupon Cutie, Allison White. She'll share a detailed guide on how she's managed to save her family lots of money. Enjoy!I sat in the driveway one afternoon praying while my kids were asleep in the car. I asked the Lord to show me ways that I could cut our budget even more than I already had. I had cut every possible thing I could think of and thought I was doing an awesome job of feeding my little family of 4 on just $200 a month. He told me to coupon. This is how I did it.

Step 1:
Collect coupons. You can find them in the Sunday paper or online. I use target.com, coupons.com, redplum.com, smartsource.com, and allyou.com.Step 2:
Organize your coupons. You can cut them out and organize them in a coupon binder or coupon box. Here's mine.Another simple way is to write the date on the top of the insert from the newspaper and put them in a drawer or box in order of oldest to newest.

Step 3:
Match your coupons to the items on sale at the store of your choice. When I first got started I chose 1 store to get the hang of it and then slowly added another and another. I chose Homeland first because they double coupons for an even greater savings. Look at the store's ad to see what is on sale that week. Then, look through your coupons to see if you have coupons that match the sale items. There are several websites that match them for you. (This really helps.) I use moneysavingqueen.com and consumerqueen.com.

Step 4:
SHOP!!!

The best way I've saved is to buy the items on sale at Homeland with coupons and to buy everything else at Aldi or on sale at other stores like Buy For Less. You must compare ads to make sure you are getting the best price.

Keep an open mind with brands, and be flexible with planning meals. Please contact Meredith if you have questions or would like to get in touch with me. Good luck!

Thought For the Day: Couponing definitely takes time and hard work, but saving your family money is worth it.

P.S. The Money Saving Queen will be in Oklahoma City on Friday, July 22nd for a seminar on couponing. The cost is $10. Visit her website to learn more.

3 comments:

aidkaid19 said...

thiS is awesome!! :)

Ashley said...

You can sign up with Betty Croker and Bisquick to get their weekly email which contains easy family-friendly recipes and...wait for it...coupons!

Monica said...

Thank you for allowing Al to guest blog!! I really admire her for doing this and making it work!! It is amazing!!