Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Power Of A Compliment

Have you ever been given a compliment that was so good, you STILL remember it?

If not, I bet you've at least been given one that made you feel good - even if the feeling was just temporary. I remember when I started a new job 7 weeks after I had Grayson. Whenever I answered the phone, I tried to have a "smile" in my voice. It didn't take long for me to answer a call from my co-worker's hubby. She later told me that her husband said, "Who's the new girl? She sounds so professional and friendly!" Obviously, it made me feel good to hear that. After all, I was new, and I was glad to be perceived positively over the phone. (Thanks to my co-worker for passing the compliment along.)

Whose spirits can you lift by simply telling someone a positive thought about them? People are sooooo thirsty for this kind of information. Last week, I told a cashier I liked her nails. (Hey, her french tips looked great.) I've even gone so far as to ask for a waitress's manager so I could compliment her excellent service right then and there.

I'm not patting myself on the back, I just want to point out that we should look for ways to make strangers feel good, too. (Okay, maybe not necessarily THIS stranger.)Withholding a compliment is a real waste of a good thing. If you like hearing them, give them away.

Thought For the Day: You can never give too many compliments, but make sure they are sincere. You could be perceived as sucking-up, or your words could even seem a bit patronizing.

No comments: