Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Absurd Prayers of the Sleep Deprived

Dear Lord,

As I army crawl across Grayson's floor, please don't let me run into any noisy toys we left out. Please?

Amen.
Dear Jesus,

You made the sun and the moon. I know you can make Grayson fall asleep too. Please help him go to sleep as soon as possible. I thank you in advance.

Amen.
Dear Lord Almighty,

My arms have fallen asleep from holding him. I can't feel my hands. Please don't let my limbs fall off. Supernaturally get my circulation going again, but more importantly, help Grayson fall asleep so I can put him down. My arms really hurt.

Amen.


*****************

Father God,

When I get up and walk away from his bed, please don't let my tired, old bones crack. He might wake up and realize I'm leaving.

Amen.
Holy Father,

(I have horrible night time allergies!) Oh my goodness. My nose is running, and I can't shift my hands to wipe my nose or Grayson will wake up. Help me!!

Amen.


*****************

Yes, I have actually prayed all of the above prayers within the last several days. Grayson is usually a phenomenal sleeper, but lately he's been waking up for hours in the middle of the night. Last night we were up from 1:15 to 5 am. I just keep thinking, am I ready to do this all over again with a newborn in less than 4 months? Ready or not, here baby comes!

Thought For the Day: God really must be amused by our prayers sometimes. Even though most of the funny ones are thrown up in desperate times.

1 comment:

Allison White said...

I can't stop laughing at this! All I can say is Amen to that sister! I haven't slept for so long that I think I've forgotten what it's like. Oh well. We will miss these days.