Wednesday, March 2, 2011

How Did I Celebrate Dr. Seuss's Birthday?

Today, I was excited to speak to the students of Central Elementary School in Yukon, OK. Now, I've spoken to big crowds before today. But, not an entire elementary school of 525 kiddos! I did my best to prepare, and it was actually a lot of fun.I asked the kids if they had a dream and they ALL raised their hand. Then, I told them that when I was their age, my dream was to become an author. The center of my message was that there is no deadline for your dreams, and it doesn't matter how long it takes. (Seen here is my original book cover that I made.)After I finished reading my book, I asked the polka dot shoes to tell me who they had observed as the quietest student during the story. After all, they had been spying on the crowd for me because I told them I would need a volunteer. This little boy was the "chosen one" and the crowd gave him a big round of applause. He drew the names of three teachers for a book giveaway. He was so cute.Presenting after me was the Cat in the Hat himself! This guy is a pro, and Central was his fourth school he spoke at today. That takes A LOT of energy!I was so pleased to get to meet the wonderful teachers and students at Central Elementary. Perhaps some of the youngsters will follow their dreams and surpass Garth Brooks in fame! (He's from Yukon.)

Thought For the Day: Dr. Seuss named Thing 1 and Thing 2 after his own cats. And remember his character "Horton"? He almost named him Conrad.

1 comment:

Allison White said...

You are so brave to have done that!! I never got use to being in front of the entire school!