Sunday, March 13, 2011

"He Didn't Like Me At First": Happy 6th Anniversary, Joey!

There he stood, clad in board shorts and a t-shirt. I won't fail to mention that both his ears were pierced. "I'm Joey," the dude said, as a mutual friend introduced us just 6 hours after I arrived at The University of Tulsa in 2000.

I instantly knew I wanted to get to know him. And when I showed up to my very first class, I was pleased to see he was sitting there.

"I'll make it my project to become best friends with him," I thought. So I sat next to him and began chatting away.

Little did I know, Joey was thinking something similar to the following: "Please don't sit by me...Great. She's going to be such an annoying blonde. Guess I'll just pretend to listen to what she's saying." What a jerk, right??

Well, fortunately, we know how the story ends. Thanks to my Best Friend Making skills, we quickly became inseparable and eventually fell in love 9 months later. So, in 2005 not only did I marry my first "real" boyfriend, but he was my best friend...and still is.

We've had 6 years of fun, and we've made it a point to keep laughter at the forefront of any circumstance. We literally end most days laughing to sleep in bed like 2 little kids.No one wants to hear, "I have the greatest husband in the world!" It's like saying, "Nanny nanny boo boo! Mine is better than yours." I instead thank God that I have Joey as my spouse. No, he's not perfect, but he is perfect for me. Thought For the Day: I love you, Joey! Thank you for being such a respectful husband and devoted father.

No comments: