Sunday, January 16, 2011

Super Quote Sunday - "Bitterness"

If anyone deserved to be bitter, it was Martin Luther King, Jr. Yet, he didn't fall prey to letting bitterness and hate overtake him.

I could gush over how truly amazing this man was. I once watched a documentary on him, and I was in awe at all this leader endured and accomplished.


When I was in college, I had the privilege of listening to his daughter, Yolanda Denise King, speak on his holiday. She, like her father, was a gifted speaker. I went away feeling so much respect for her father's legacy.

In honor of his "day" tomorrow, I wanted to feature the following quote.


"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness."


Bitterness is one of those hard emotions to tackle, as it creeps in and you often don't know it exists until you find yourself unable to move on. It's like the sister of Unforgiveness and the brother of Offense.

Yikes.

My pastor always says, "Don't get bitter. Get better." Sometimes, that's easier said than done. But, like MLK, Jr., he has a point.

Thought For the Day: If Martin Luther King, Jr. can manage to protect his heart from bitterness, why can't we? If you feel burdened by bitterness, do you think it would be possible to wipe the slate clean and move on?

No comments: