Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Hair Straightener, Fire and OCD - Yikes!

I must confess, I have a bit of a problem with my hair straightener.

The problem is - I always think I've left it on. Even when I KNOW I haven't.

On any given day, I use my hair straightener. Without it, my husband [jokingly] says I resemble any of the following: 1980s Michael Bolton, Fabio, a walking scarecrow. Thankfully (for him), I have thick skin. Clearly, we've established that it's imperative that I use a straightener. So, when finished, I unplug the straightener saying, "It's unplugged." I feel the outlet on the wall or step on the plug to physically show myself that it's not plugged in.

(Oh my goodness. I've freaked you out, and I shouldn't have shared this much).

Then, right before I leave the house, I'll run back to my bathroom and double check.

On many occasions, I've gone so far as to get a mile down the road, turn around and drive home to run in and check one more time. ....Are those crickets chirping? The silence from your disbelief is overwhelming me.

To borrow a phrase from Andy Cohen, here's what: I'm afraid I'm going to burn the house down...with the dogs inside. They're inside pups. Lay off.

Surely, I can't be the only one with some type of obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). Sigh. Maybe for Christmas, Santa will bring me a hair straightener that automatically shuts off after a certain period of time.

On the bright side of all this, if my only crazy "thing" is the absurd impulse to make sure the straightener is off, I'll take it!

Thought For the Day: The first component of change is realizing you've got a problem, right? Yippee, there's hope yet!

Like the blog? Sign up as a Follower!

2 comments:

robin.munger said...

You and my sis! I can't tell you how many times she has called or texted me to see if I would go down to her house and check her flat iron!! As far as the OCD...Ahem....I think I've got you beat there :) Just one thing? You're doin' fine girl.

Anonymous said...

I am EXACTLY the same!!! So good to know I'm not the only one. I even have straighteners that automatically turn themselves off after half an hour but still need to check 3 or 4 times before I leave the house, and have also returned home to check them!! I always say to my husband 'look they're off'.... It's so weird as I don't seem to have OCD in any other ways??!!