Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What Can 15 Minutes Do For A Child?

When you spend just 15 minutes each day reading to a child you significantly impact his or her life.

This picture is my proof.

Grayson and I went to the park this evening, and on the way to the slides, he stopped to point out this triangle (or as he puts it, "da-da-da").

Look how intently he's identifying it.

It's funny what proves salient to a child, for I didn't even notice this little triangle embedded in the concrete.

Grayson is excited about saying the alphabet and counting to ten - not because I'm super mom (far from it). It's simply because we read together on a regular basis. By reading his books on his shapes, ABCs, numbers and colors, he is becoming engaged in the world around him.

We can't drive passed the mall without him identifying the Macy's star. "TOH!" he calls. "Yes! Star!" I say.

The number of illiterate children in the U.S. is staggering, and I don't think we should go around blaming teachers all the time. Teachers are heroes, and if you disagree, try doing what they do for just one day. I'll stop there.

Thought For the Day: Let's support our teachers by sending our children to school prepared and confident. Reading to them will help accomplish this.

Like the blog? Sign up as a Follower!

2 comments:

robin.munger said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the teacher comment!! Not because prepared children made my job easier, but it made the CHILD'S life easier and their days at school so much more pleasant. And I could go on and on....but I'll stop there too :)

Monica said...

Yeah for supporting teachers!!! I am not saying we are heros by any means, but being a Pre-K teacher myself, it is VERY noticable who is worked with, read to, etc. at home and who is not!! I believe parents and teachers need to work together to benefit the child. Well put by Robin, too! :)