Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Why I Suffer From Arachnophobia (Repost)

Hi. My name is Meredith. And I suffer from Arachnophobia.

This particular phobia surfaced 3 years ago when I had the pleasure of being stuck in the car with a spider. The furry critter was on the outside of my speedometer panel.

There I sat, skirt-clad and hyperventilating, hoping that the spider wouldn't jump on my bare knee.

I am not proud of what I am about to confess.

This was probably one of my lowest points as a human being.

I was so scared, I pulled into a police station parking lot and called 911. I was hoping they would direct someone from this particular station to scurry outside and assist me in ridding my car of the spider.


Why not go in and ask someone for help?

Because then, if the spider disappeared, I wouldn't know where it went! And that would be far worse!

Well, for some reason (God must have intervened), I couldn't reach 911 because my phone kept cutting out.

I drove home with that spider crawling all over the place, and it was all I could do to keep my composure and not jump out of the car during all the red lights.

Since that day, the irrational fear has not subsided.

Naturally, when I saw an eight-legged show-stopper crawling up my shelves today, chills went down my skin.

I stood there paralyzed before I finally managed to take action.

Being the intrepid 28 year-old that I am, I grabbed my flip-flop and a bottle of hairspray that was conveniently sitting nearby. (This is not the time to be asking questions). Finally, I situated myself on the arm of my oversized chair.

I managed to snap a picture of it, and it doesn't look that big. But, I tell you, this was no Charlotte!

I think I even saw him point to me with one of his legs as if to say, "You're mine." I was thinking, let's take this outside.

My 19 month-old and two labs just stared at me, perplexed. I wanted to tell them, "I have to be a hero right now. I have to do this for everyone's safety."

I've heard some people say spiders are reincarnated people. To this I reply, I don't believe in reincarnation. Other people say spiders are more afraid of you then you are of them. To this I reply, that can't be true.

Some people even tell me, "Spiders won't hurt you." Have you SEEN pictures of spider bite victims??

Which is why I was determined to rid my safe, comfortable home of this intrusion.
Squirt, squirt! I shot a few drops of hairspray in the spider's direction.

This did nothing but hold his hair in place.

I finally hit him with my flip-flop and missed.

He leapt off the shelves to a place I couldn't see.

So...

I have a mad, sticky spider lurking around my house.

Thought For the Day: What fears do you have? How can you work to control those fears? If you're like me, it's going to take some serious work.

2 comments:

Joey Garrett said...

The way you overreact to spiders, I'm thankful that you didn't have a lighter handy too.
Just think, now you have a well groomed spider running around the house.

Stephanie said...

I remember when the spider invaded your car. I have never laughed so hard as I did when you told us that story. I still laugh every time I am at Dan and Leah's house, because someone drew the reenactment on their dry erase board. It's still on there!!!