Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Absolutely Positive

I'll tell you why I chose to do an author visit today at Positive Tomorrows.



I can't imagine being homeless.

I don't even want to consider my own son having to sleep in the back of a car in very cold weather, or suffering in school because his mind wonders to his next meal or why he doesn’t have what other kids have.

Nearly 6,000 homeless children in Oklahoma puts the state among the worst in the nation, according to a report in 2009.

No doubt, these children don’t have the luxury of being read to at night, as nighttime provides its own set of challenges.

Well, today they heard about Penny. I also shared how I used to write lots and lots of books when I was their age. In this picture, I'm talking about how the title of my book landed in my head like a raindrop late one night in college.



Positive Tomorrows is a school for homeless children in downtown Oklahoma City. They educate kids for life through academic, social and emotional nurturing.

Tate Publishing is awesome for agreeing to generously donate a copy of Penny and the Polka Dot Shoes to each child. I am so pleased that these children will possess at least one book.



The Cat in the Hat from the Oklahoma Education Association was kind enough to make an appearance as well! I believe we all enjoyed learning about Dr. Seuss. Great job, Cat!!


I invite you all the learn more about Positive Tomorrows by visiting their website, www.positivetomorrows.org. This organization gives hope and love to children who live with uncertain circumstances.

Thought For the Day: With the means, time and talents you have, what can you do to encourage people facing hardships? Really think about it.

No comments: