Friday, August 6, 2010

You Know You're a Mom When...


We moms aren’t always a train wreck. About 98% of the time, we’ve got it pulled together and you’d never know things were awry. But, the other 2% of the time, we may find ourselves doing any of the following:

You know you're a mom when…
1) you hairspray each spritz to the cadence of “This Old Man.”
2) you stick the French fry in the air conditioner slot of your car to expedite the cooling off process for your hungry kid.
3) you can’t remember the last time you could remember.
4) your child won’t nap and you literally cry.
5) you can’t wait to take your kid to a live Sesame Street or Barney show, because you know how happy it would make her.
6) something goes wrong and you hear yourself shouting, “Cinders and ashes!” in the words of Thomas the Train.
7) after searching for your favorite sunglasses for an hour, you finally pull back the shower curtain and find them lying in the tub.
8) in a time of extreme desperation or sleep deprivation, you’ve used any of the following as “toys”: car keys, a diaper, your foot, a shirt tag.
9) your “me time” is spent at the grocery store…sans kids.
10) at the office, you look at the picture of your family to help you get through the day, because it’s all for them.

If you (or someone you know) has ever had experiences like these, I hope you can appreciate them. Also, if you have any of your own funny mom-isms, please share! I’d love to make a new list.

Oh, and I reserve the right not to disclose whether I'm guilty of any of the above instances. ;)

Thought for the day: Moms, let’s not be so hard on ourselves or take ourselves too seriously. Dads, tell your Lady how wonderful, beautiful and splendid she is today.

Like the blog? Sign up as a Follower!

2 comments:

Amanda J said...

You know you're a mom when:
*both of your children are crying in the backseat of the car, one because he pinched his finger, the other because the older sibling startled them with their histarical crying...and all you can do is laugh!
*you encourage your potty training child to pee outside..because it's fun! (But really to teach them that they are in control of this bodily funtion).
*the contents of your purse include an extra pair of Thomas the train undies, goldfish, teething ring, and a walmart sack for accidents
*being left at home to clean and do laundry BY YOURSELF seems like paradise!

Allison White said...

You know you are a mommy when:
-sitting in the McDonald's play place is your me time.
-you spend your own birthday money on something new for the kids.
-you have to shower as fast as possible. If you have time to shave then it is done in sections. You know, from the knees down is on Mon. Knees up is Wed. Etc.
-you celebrate the first time everyone eats the same meal instead of fixing one for you and your hubby, one for your toddler, and one for the baby.
-you need a king sized bed because somehow your queen is way too small now that everyone sleeps cozy together.
-you cry when you look at your giant minivan, your stomach, and your check book.
-you call all of your mommy friends to tell them about an awesome garage sale with cheap kid friendly treasures.
-you go to bed thanking God for your precious little gifts.