Monday, August 16, 2010

A Picture’s Worth A Thousand Memories

Oh, like your third grade picture is any better.

Okay, well it probably is. I must admit, I needed some help. Can someone say “contacts”? The funny thing is, I thought that was a great picture at the time.

In case you were wondering, my dog chewed up those hot, blue glasses I’m wearing.

My sister says she remembers looking out the back window and seeing our basset hound, Tammy, jump up on me, grab them and run around as I flailed about in a blind, chaotic frenzy. I don’t know what’s funnier – that my glasses got ruined that way or that our dog’s name was “Tammy.”

As kids go back to school, I’m inclined to reflect on my childhood. I see the back to school items at the stores, and I instantly remember the sensation of itemizing the pencils and notebooks in my desk, the unmistakable smell of a newly opened crayon box and the feel of the soft, big erasers that never seemed to run out.

When I look at this picture, I remember that girl. She wrote plays and asked her friends to act in them. She faithfully read through the Sequoyah book list and vowed to write when she grew up.

She hated to be called four-eyes. She loved to wear her older sister’s best hand-me-downs. She had faith in grown-ups and loved her parents very much.

Her last name was Smith and being old meant you were a seventh grader.

Wow. Has it really been that long? Before I know it, my son will be experiencing those same memories. And then, many years down the road, will he look back on his third grade picture, as I am now, and wonder where the time went?

Will he feel significant in his best picture outfit, as I did in mine? Will he carry in the little black comb that’s provided? Will he be full of the same hopeful innocence that I was full of then? One thing is for sure. I hope he inherited his dad’s vision and not mine!

Thought For the Day: Don’t ever, ever let your child wear huge glasses.

Second Thought For the Day: Dreams don’t have a deadline. Remember what you loved as a child and revisit that kind of passion for the things in your life now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember that girl in the 3rd grade pic! And my 3rd grade pic doesn't look any better, I promise! I really like your 2nd thought of the day!! Something to ponder....Monica