Wednesday, July 28, 2010

K.I.S.S.

Keep it simple, stupid.

Easier said than done.

Isn’t it amazing how easily we make the simple things, well, bigger than they really are? Okay, maybe I’m the only one who lacks balance sometimes. As I type, I notice my word for the month written on a post-it note, which rests on my monitor. (Yes, I’m THAT person). It reads: Well-Balanced.

Again, living a well-balanced, simple life seems easier said than done. To quote Jessie Spano in the famous “Hot Sunday” episode of Saved By the Bell, “No time! There’s never any time!!” Perhaps on the more hectic days, all we really need is for Zack Morris to climb through our bedroom window and calm us down. Now there’s something my husband probably wouldn’t go for.

I don’t know about you, but some days I feel as though I don’t have enough time to cram everything into the hours allotted. And worse, when I do lay down to rest at night, I find that all my best ideas, worst fears and most vulnerable thoughts come out to play. Naturally, this keeps me awake for some time. Funny, isn’t sleep one of the most important components of maintaining balance?

Like The Byrds sing and Ecclesiastes mention, there is a time and purpose for everything. Each day, there is a time for work, laughter, food, exercise, and, yes, sleep. For some, prayer.

Being the multi-tasker, I pray that I can laugh off the copious amount of calories I overate so I can head to bed instead of exercising.

So some days I don’t keep it simple... but not on purpose. It just happens. And I’m working on it. Remember the post-it??

Thought for the day: Keep the main thing the main thing.

1 comment:

Allison White said...

It is hard to keep things simple when your house is covered with toys and you are up to your ears in diapers. However, when your sweet little ones look at you with their innocent smile it helps keep things in perspective and reminds you that these days go by quickly. I guess the dishes can wait so we can enjoy another episode of Barney!! Some day I am going to break up with Barney!!!!!!